Copy & Pasting Stereo Track Levels

Dave Zippi

DP-24 Questions!

Prior to moving on to Mixdown Mode I like to do my "mix" to a Stereo track such as 23-24. I have 2 mixes in Multi-Track mode where some parts are better than the other. One on 23-24 & 21-22.

I'd like to "Copy & Paste" the "good parts" from one stereo track to the other & then go into mixdown mode.

Can I do that?

Also, any tips on keeping the Levels from one stereo track to the other identical since I'm using identical settings?

Thanks!
Dave

Since you already have those mixes on stereo tracks you can do a live mixdown in real time by switching between those tracks at the appropriate time.

But to answer your question, yes, of course you can edit them and do Copy/Paste if you like. I recommend that you backup the files on your PC, and even export them to the Audio Depot so they are conveniently on the SD card in case you have to re-load them because you goofed up the edit. I also highly recommend that you do not do editing surgery on the mixdown tracks, but that you copy/paste to a blank stereo track (use a Virtual Track if they are all full) so that way you don't destroy the original mixdown tracks. But if something does happen, they will be there in the Audio Depot as recommended above.

If the faders are set to the same level the audio, if identical on the respective tracks, should playback at the same level. But the faders are not exactly calibrated with the markings on the panel. Use your ears and the meters for the final result.

You will need to document what you do when you edit. The DP-24 can instantly Undo a mistake but unless you remember what points you used, you'll be running around in circles. I recommend downloading and printing out the editing sheet from this post: https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/28646/

Reactions: -mjk-
Are vitrual tracks used to do what is called comping on the Tascam dp-24 ?

Virtual tracks are not specifically for comping but absolutely can be used for that, as can any other track. VTs are extra tracks on each channel that are only usable when set to "current" (as in currenting being used). VTs are a great place to use for storage tracks so you don't lose original performances when making submixes or comping. The use of Virtual Tracks has been well discussed in other threads on this forum. Please use the Search function as described in my sig file.

Reactions: dctdct

New threads

Members online