Cubase 8 and all is well

I'm not hearing any difference in my raw tracks Sounds just as good as before.

Humm -- I was listening to a mix that was complete and listened in both Nuendo 4 and Cubase 8. So there was processing. I guess I'll listen to some raw and unprocessed tracks and see if I still hear the difference.

There was some major changes to the C8 audio engine compared to previous versions, but those changes were more specific to audio ASIO/CPU performance. I would have my doubts if there were a difference in something that was obvious such as phase, freq response and/or dynamic response as that would not be expected.

But I do seem to note that C8 being a little snappier, tighter, smoother in it's use compared to previous versions. Likely due to it being more mature and having better optimized code that would also be part of any improved performance that it provides.

I have not compared audio quality from C8 to previous versions but it is possible that something related to an improvement to their VST implementation and/or the audio engine overhaul has done or has changed their mixing/summing math that you would not hear on individual raw tracks but could hear with tracks that are mixed together.

cmaffia, you mentioned you can control EQ via the 3200; have you actually incorporated this into your work flow? Using the Steinberg Mackie Control setting on the 3200 takes approximately half the of the EQ controls and doubles them over channels 9-16, not like it shows in the manual. There's a page in the manual that shows the mapping of the EQ encoder layer, but the unit doesn't match it. Does yours? If so, how did it you get it working? All of the other layers behave properly.

I did at first but then when I got the Steinberg CC121, I sort of simulated the Fat Channel of the DM4800 and now use that exclusively for controlling the Steinberg EQ. You also have to configure the Cubase Mackie Controllers you create to COMPATIBILITY mode or else the mapping wont be correct. This has been a requirement since Cubase 7.5.

Scroll 3/4's down:

http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm3200-with-cubase-8-remote-device-setup.3051/

Last edited:

New threads

Members online