Dm 3200 if-fw/dmmkii mac osx 10.5 and logic 8

jonathan goldring

Gear owned
Tascam 3200 Logic 8 IF-FW
Where to start!

Am a newbie to the forum. Have been working well with Mac, Logic 8 and an Apogee for past few years without trouble whilst my DM3200 and firewire card sit proudly (and unused) in the centre of my studio doing nothing! Thought it was about time to set it up but can't even get the basics right.

Have installed Tascam IF-FW/DM MKII into slot 1 of the DM3200 and run the firewire cable to the front firewire port on my mac pro. DM3200 recognises the card and says its in place and working. Mac pro can also see it and allows me to select it in the audio settings. HOWEVER, NO SOUND! and the volume sliders for 16 channels are greyed out in the audio/midi preferences settings.

Probably a really basic question but which are the best outputs on the back of the DM3200 to connect to yahama monitor speakers? Are there any Digital or routing settings I should be observing? How do I play computer content through the mixer (i/e/ channels/bus/aux?). To start with all I want to do is get the computer audio to send to the firewire and through the DM3200 into the speakers. You are probably laughing right now, but despite reading the obvious manual etc I can't seem to get a simple sound output and wondered if I am using the wrong connectors at the back or should have configured some settings in the DM3200.

PLEASE PLEASE help. If I can get this basic set up sorted Im sure I can work on the logic 8 side of things as I did manage to at least get the DM3200 to work as a mixer in logic using remote settings. I really want to start using the audio side of the deck as thats whats its really all about.

Is there anywhere on the web that gives basic "physical" set up instructions. Have seen loads about the software side but not the hardware.

Thanks in anticipation.

Frustrated and perserving

#1: Take deep breath. You're facing what everybody new to the DM mixers does.

#2: Get some manuals; www.tascam.com - Professional Products/DM3200/downloads. Find the information pertinent to Logic (ie: HUI/FWire).

#3. Make sure you have the RIGHT and CURRENT drivers for both your Mac and DM. I use Win7/PC so I can't advise on Mac-specific setup. But there are several experienced pros on this forum who can.

#4. For a basic overview of OTB (out of box) routing, read this: http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm-routing-zen.634/

#5 Stay tuned for more replies; if you can't find help here, it doesn't exist. :)

CaptDan

Thanks Dan

At least there is solace In knowing I am not alone. Thank you for the info. Drivers are all latest and manuals have been thumbed extensively. Maybe its just me!!

Found this link which is quite useful but it doesn't answer the basic question of how to get the computer internal audio (such as ITunes) to play through desk and monitors.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/416827-tascam-dm3200-logic.html

Any more help on the basic setup from DM to mac with firewire would be helpful.

At present set up is as follows:

Physical connections:

I have the DM stereo XLR outputs on the top left at the back of the desk connected respectively to two powered monitors.

The IF-FW card is installed and recognised in slot 1 as working in the DM. It is connected to the mac with one firewire lead (no other firewires connected). THe USB on the DM also connected to mac. No Midi connected.

Nothing is connected to the DM Mic/Line inputs. I assumed the firewire would carry the mac internal sound "somewhere" on the DM.

Software Settings

AT the mac end in audio/midi preferences, the audio inputs and outputs are all pointing to the IF-FW option (though the 16 volume sliders are at the start and greyed out).

The IF control panel says installed in slot 1 and locked and working.

On the DM I have not changed any of the routing or monitor or digital settings and rebooted to factory default to get a clean start.

Forget logic for a moment - Just trying to play mac internal audio through mixer.

ANY THOUGHTS KIND AND PATIENT PEOPLE.

Hi Jonathon,
Welcome to what I believe is one of the best equipment forums on the net. The crowd here has been extremely professional and helpful. Like Dan said, take a deep breath...we all have been there. Figuring the routing on these boards is usually the first step in the learning curve. Know that once you get going, it's just amazing what you can do with these boards. And it will come easier as you go.

As much fun as gearslutz is for equipment reviews and general discussions, I would probably stick with this forum for help with your DM, whether it's routing issues, equipment problems or even general recording banter involving your DM.

I have a 3200 as well, but, like Dan, I am also using it with a PC. When I read your previous post, it's clear that you are just wanting to hear you Mac's output, at least to start,.....and you are almost there. I think you just don't have your FW card outs from the computer set to any inputs yet in the DM. I don't think they are set up that way as a factory default, and you said that you haven't made any changes to the routing yet. Well, my friend, now's the time.

So, try this:
First go to ALT/Routing/Input tab under the display. Use POD4, on the right, to select SLOT1.
2) In Layer Select, use POD2 and turn it to select layer 17-32.
3) Use the arrow keys to move the curser to the top left input, input channel 17
4) Turn the jog wheel left once, then right once, to the right to select SLOT1-1, then hit ENTER.
5) Do the same for input channel 18, but this time turn the jog wheel twice to select SLOT1-2. Hit enter.

Now, just because you have the first two input assigned doesn't mean you are done yet. Right now, your mac is playing through the FW back into the DM, but you also have to assign those DM inputs to the correct outputs.
So, since we have DM CH17 and 18 inputs assigned, lets get them out of the board and into your monitors.

BTW,
I think it might be safe to say that most people here have their Control Room monitors plugged into the 1/4" TRS jacks labeled CR. The volume for which is at the top right of the board labeled CR, make sure it is turned down if you do use this. You will need to have the STEREO fader set to unity (+/- 0) unless you are keeping your monitors set to the XLR jacks. These are the jacks for the STEREO buss, controlled by the STEREO buss fader.

To assign your channels 17 and 18 to the stereo buss (and therefore out your monitors) do this...
1) check that your layer is set to 17-32
2) above the fader on 17, find the button labeled SEL and press it. It should light up green.
2a) Actually, you can PAIR channels 17 and 18 right now, by hitting both SEL buttons at the same time. Your display will ask if you want to pair 17 and 18. You do. Hit enter. You typically do this for any stereo channel pair assignments.
3) With the SEL buttons both lit up green, look up just to the left of the display. Find the STEREO button. Select it so that it lights up. That sends the outputs of 17 and 18 out to the stereo buss.
4) Now look across the board to the right at the master section. Just to the left of the SOLO knob are 4 buttons. Hit the first button labeled STEREO so that it is lit up as well. This assigns the stereo buss to the Stereo output, through the stereo fader.

If your monitors are on, you should be able to hear sound from your computer. Generally speaking, this step by step can be used for assigning any input to your stereo buss. Hope it helps.
S

Reactions: jonathan goldring
BTW, Dan's reference to the thread he created a while ago has been very helpful for many. Known as "Routing Zen", it is a good place to get your bearings on the process of routing within the DM. Read it and feel zen!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I am so grateful that people like you take the time to make the instructions really simple for beginners. IT WORKS !!

Just for anyone else in the same position, I did also have to uninstall all other firewire drivers on the mac and plug the IF card into the back of the mac rather than the front (no idea why!)

Anyway thank you so much.

Now for the my bigger challenge if you have the patience?

Logic 8.

I don't even know if this is possible but I should have mentioned I have a MU-1000 meter attached too.

What I would really really like to do is get Logic pro talking to the DM3200 and meter unit.

I ahve read various sets of instructions about setting up the remote settings but they seem conflicting. Some say use a HUI some say NC for logic in the remote section.

I dont have a lot of outboard gear plugged in.

Couple of mics, couple of guitars, keyboards etc.

I can use logic no problem in that I can play previously recorded songs and output the master volume through channels 17 and 18 thanks to your instructions above. It is the input I am struggling with!

Is it possible to get logic to send the relevant tracks to channels on the DM3200 so I can fade them in and out and see the meter bridge for each track rather than one master output?

I can get the DM3200 remote working (sort of) to act as a control surface for the logic pro mixer.

I should explain better.

I have a mic plugged into the M\L socket of the DM3200. I can hear the mic and the levels show up on the DM3200. But nothing in Logic. i.e. Logic doesn't seem to pick up the signal.

I am sure this something to do with the routing or my logic control surface preferences which I clearly do not get.

So I need the DM3200 to send the MIC signal to the IF card and into logic then return it to the same channel when played back so that I can fade up and down on the DM. Maybe I need to input in one channel and return in another? AHGGG? Am I dreaming or is this possible?

Thanks again if anyone can help?

InShort, Yes...You can do all of that. You can get Logic (or pretty much any DAW) to talk to your DM, especially as far as moving faders, mutes, solo, record, etc. You will have to get that step by step from someone else, because I don't use Logic. However, I am pretty sure it has been discussed here plenty, so search it out.

Now, using your MU-1000 is a different thing. You do not need to setup any HUI stuff just to see your time code on your meter-bridge.
To get the meter bridge tracking time code, the basics are the same for any daw.
First you have to set up Logic to generate mtc (midi time code). Set it up so that Logic shows HH:MM:SS:Frames for it's time. Now, the MTC should be sent out of Logic to the DM over midi channel 3, via your USB. Once it gets going, you will see the same time as Logic's time displayed on the MU-1000. I know that's not very detailed, but that's the basics.

Once again thank you for your help. I think the problem now is the logic end.

Any logic users out there that could shed some light or point me in the right direction.

Thanks again. I love this forum!

Hi Jonathon,
Welcome to what I believe is one of the best equipment forums on the net. The crowd here has been extremely professional and helpful. Like Dan said, take a deep breath...we all have been there. Figuring the routing on these boards is usually the first step in the learning curve. Know that once you get going, it's just amazing what you can do with these boards. And it will come easier as you go.

As much fun as gearslutz is for equipment reviews and general discussions, I would probably stick with this forum for help with your DM, whether it's routing issues, equipment problems or even general recording banter involving your DM.

I have a 3200 as well, but, like Dan, I am also using it with a PC. When I read your previous post, it's clear that you are just wanting to hear you Mac's output, at least to start,.....and you are almost there. I think you just don't have your FW card outs from the computer set to any inputs yet in the DM. I don't think they are set up that way as a factory default, and you said that you haven't made any changes to the routing yet. Well, my friend, now's the time.

So, try this:
First go to ALT/Routing/Input tab under the display. Use POD4, on the right, to select SLOT1.
2) In Layer Select, use POD2 and turn it to select layer 17-32.
3) Use the arrow keys to move the curser to the top left input, input channel 17
4) Turn the jog wheel left once, then right once, to the right to select SLOT1-1, then hit ENTER.
5) Do the same for input channel 18, but this time turn the jog wheel twice to select SLOT1-2. Hit enter.

Now, just because you have the first two input assigned doesn't mean you are done yet. Right now, your mac is playing through the FW back into the DM, but you also have to assign those DM inputs to the correct outputs.
So, since we have DM CH17 and 18 inputs assigned, lets get them out of the board and into your monitors.

BTW,
I think it might be safe to say that most people here have their Control Room monitors plugged into the 1/4" TRS jacks labeled CR. The volume for which is at the top right of the board labeled CR, make sure it is turned down if you do use this. You will need to have the STEREO fader set to unity (+/- 0) unless you are keeping your monitors set to the XLR jacks. These are the jacks for the STEREO buss, controlled by the STEREO buss fader.

To assign your channels 17 and 18 to the stereo buss (and therefore out your monitors) do this...
1) check that your layer is set to 17-32
2) above the fader on 17, find the button labeled SEL and press it. It should light up green.
2a) Actually, you can PAIR channels 17 and 18 right now, by hitting both SEL buttons at the same time. Your display will ask if you want to pair 17 and 18. You do. Hit enter. You typically do this for any stereo channel pair assignments.
3) With the SEL buttons both lit up green, look up just to the left of the display. Find the STEREO button. Select it so that it lights up. That sends the outputs of 17 and 18 out to the stereo buss.
4) Now look across the board to the right at the master section. Just to the left of the SOLO knob are 4 buttons. Hit the first button labeled STEREO so that it is lit up as well. This assigns the stereo buss to the Stereo output, through the stereo fader.

If your monitors are on, you should be able to hear sound from your computer. Generally speaking, this step by step can be used for assigning any input to your stereo buss. Hope it helps.
S

This post is like nirvana and I can't thank you enough. That and the beta driver my logic x and Tascam DM 3200 are working amazing. Thank you, thank you.

Reactions: captdan
I remember this thread. Glad it was helpful. Hope you have many good years making music with your setup.
S

Reactions: captdan
Hi Johnathan,
I don't know if have your mu-1000 showing timecode yet but if you haven't. Be sure you check in project settings that: 1) MTC is checked and 2) you have the correct dm3200 midi port selected it should have "MTC" at the end of it. as far as getting iTunes to play goto "System Preferences" then "sound" then select the IF-FW for system output. All of your system sounds will now output on channels 1&2. I hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Just had to move my setup onto a new desk as the 3200 is big.

Now, typically no sound from the dm3200. In the slot section it says no cable. I have used every cable I have and used it into differnt slots without success.

It looks like FireWire from dm to usb to the mac.

I upgraded to Yosemite previously and this was working amazingly. The dm shows up as connected on the Yosemite system check in the sub bus.

Sorry typo. Usb bus.

Doing my head in as it can see it on the mac but the dm says no cable. Reboot or reset FireWire / usb hubs?

Cheers in advance

Apologies, user cable error which know shows a flashing no cable / driver offline.

Any help will help not locate the nearest Carpark.

How can be running smooth as silk for two weeks and then this!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.