DM-4800 Cascade Mode

RedBus. I just looked at the original poster's website who is successfully cascading in the remote layer with his 2 DM4800's and he is using the same version of Cubase as well. The only basic differences between his setup and mine are that he's using DM4800's (which I don't think matters) and a Mac OS environment (which may lead to an answer or fix).

UPDATE: I contacted the user and will compare our Cubase Mackie settings tonight.
I will also try disabling my CC121 and Frontier Tranzport although I'd hate to lose either, especially the Tranzport if that is the conflict. If it's not that I suspect it's something with the DM USB drivers in Windows 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: salty james
OK I think this is the problem and the screenshots from the original poster of this thread confirm my suspicions. Windows 7 is naming both DM3200's USB devices with the same name "DM3200" Here's how it lists the available MIDI ports in Cubase on the MAC.

midi ports.png

cubase.png

And again here is how it is listing it in Cubase using Windows 7

image.jpg

It appears that having the same name is pointing to the Master only and therefore I can't tell Cubase any of the Mackie Ports are for the Slave.

If I can change the name, will it fix it? The Mac user said he had to manually change one of the DM3200 USB device name as well.

How does one fix this? Is there a way in Windows 7 to rename or edit USB Devices so that it can say DM3200 II?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: salty james
Success! You have to manually rename the USB driver of your slave to something like DM3200-2 in both Mac and Windows or else your DAW won't be able to assign a different port to each Mackie Device. I was surprised to see how it numbered the ports after I sorted the name issue. On my setup it assigned ports 12 and 11 faders 1-16 on the master and ports 6 and 5 on the slave.

image.jpg

Man that one was a bitch to nail down! :) A special thanks to our RedBus and SCK Records for getting this working for me! I suggest making this thread a sticky because these procedures arent documented anywhere else.

Last edited:
Yeah, congrats on the succes - and to SCK Records for winning the steak dinner!

Reactions: cmaffia
He opted out being that he is a vegetarian! bummer :)

Just as a follow up. I thought I had my Mackie devices and ports deciphered but I was way off. This is how Windows 7 assigned both DM3200 USB MIDI ports and how I had to assign them in Cubase. It's pretty wacky because it's backwards.

Mackie 1 - faders 25-32 midi port 12 - DM3200 Slave
Mackie 2 - faders 17-24 midi port 11 - Dm3200 Slave
Mackie 3 - faders 9-16 midi port 6 - Dm3200 Master
Mackie 4 - faders 1-8 midi port 5 - Dm3200 Master

Now my first 32 DAW channels spread across both consoles in the remote layer and a nudge to the right selects track 33 as expected.

Here's the screenshot from Device Manager after changing the name of the 2nd DM3200's USB device from the Windows registry.

image (1)-.jpg

Here's how You can choose either console in TMC.

image (2)-.jpg

Reactions: captdan and Arjan P
No wonder you were originally confused! Logic would seem to dictate that the Master would be the first in the list, not secondary. But who cares if Win7 'groks' the situation, right?

That's very impressive work, sir!

CaptDan

Reactions: cmaffia
Interesting. A fortuitous byproduct from connecting 2 DM3200's to a PC. I can now open up TMC at any time! Cubase already loaded? No problem! Launch and she works. I can even use the TMC time code which never worked before. Fascinating

Dan. both machines are accessible in a single instance of TMC. You choose either one from a drop down.

Last edited:
Successfully with Cubase 9.5 and 2 DM4800.
Mackie 1 - faders 41-48 midi port 14 - DM4800 Slave
Mackie 2 - faders 33-40 midi port 13 - Dm4800 Slave
Mackie 3 - faders25-32 midi port 12 - Dm4800 Slave
Mackie 4 - faders 17-24 midi port 7 - Dm4800 Master
Mackie 5 - faders 9-16 midi port 6 - Dm4800 Master
Mackie 6 - faders1-8 midi port 5 - Dm4800 Master
After this settings, close and reopen Cubase and all work fine.

Thanks cmaffia

Last edited:
... about your problem of midi return from cubase, you'll probably have to use the IN port of slave DM connected to midi out or thru of the master DM.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.