DM4800 / Logic remote Banks Question

While we're on it: I don't care what product they make, my problem with Apple is the way they go about their business. You may own the product, but Apple controls what can and can't be on it (Oooh! A visible nipple in an iPhone app - ban!). So I've never bought and don't and won't buy any of their products. Otherwise I'm OK! ;)

'Windows 8.' (or my pet name: WhineAte):

Yep. No thanks to that noise. Not interested either. From what I've seen, that won't be a pond I'll care to swim in. I'll slice a Silicon Valley 'Gala,' before biting into a Washington State t***. But....................................

Here's a dumb joke for ya:

Q: How are 'intelligence' and USABLE Windows Op Systems the same?

A: Both tend to skip a generation!

(rimshot) :)

CaptDan

For Cubase there is a safe mode that temporarily bypasses the preferences and is less destructive.

Ya, I am aware of that. That works to help you find and possibly fix a prefs problem, but it is not meant to be used in that mode on a regular basis and it certainly doesn't mean that will fix your root issue.

There is no worry about trashing DAW prefs screwing anything up. It is a basic DAW trouble-shooting procedure that is often suggested by every DAW maker. It simple rebuilds new fresh default prefs the next time the DAW is launched. Ya, you will need to re-configure your prefs to your specific preference after the DAW is launched again, but that is still way better than dealing with the issues likely caused by the prefs being hosed or running your DAW in some sort of limp Safe mode.

I guess i'm alone here on this but i'm sorry guys. Apple is still miles ahead of microsoft. Not only that. regardless of apple, i can't stand windows. As far as the motherboard, it really doesn't mater they both use intel. What mater is that Mac OS is 10000 times better and stable operating system. Macs and PC's are like Ferrari and hyundai. And the reason that macs are more expensive is that they ARE worth it. Sorry :)

Leaving the apple/PC debate and going back to AudioWave's suggestion. I like the idea of having a sticky about how to configure certain functions with all DAWs as they relate to the DM series. I could go on Cubase's forum but a lot of my questions about getting a cubase function working with my DM3200 can't be answered directly 99% of the time because everyone is using their own solution. Last night Tascman graciously spent 3 hours on Skype with me and helped me set up an elegant solution using the DM3200 with Cubase 7.5' control room feature. Maybe start documenting procedures for different functions with different DAWs would be beneficial. Maybe best as a PDF or message format. Something downloadable would be preferable.

Ya, I am aware of that. That works to help you find and possibly fix a prefs problem, but it is not meant to be used in that mode on a regular basis and it certainly doesn't mean that will fix your root issue.

There is no worry about trashing DAW prefs screwing anything up. It is a basic DAW trouble-shooting procedure that is often suggested by every DAW maker. It simple rebuilds new fresh default prefs the next time the DAW is launched. Ya, you will need to re-configure your prefs to your specific preference after the DAW is launched again, but that is still way better than dealing with the issues likely caused by the prefs being hosed or running your DAW in some sort of limp Safe mode.
Yes I meant to temporarily disable prefs for troubleshooting not as a solution.
There's also a great tool that backs up and restores your Cubase prefs. When everything is working 100%, back it up and restore if necessary and save yourself some time configuring all those VST connections along with everything else. I used this app when I rebuilt my new workstation last week. An awesome time saver!

http://www.pendlebury.biz/sbprefs

Last edited:
Cool. thanks for sharing that.

Note that this may only be helpful to the specific DAW version you created and saved them with. Sometimes Pref related things change or new Pref options are implemented in a new DAW version that causes conflicts in using the previously saved Prefs as they may no longer work correctly and can be the culprit of why things no longer work the way they used to, thus the need to trash your Prefs and start over.

Much of this comes from bugs or often non thought thru logic by a DAW developer attempting to use, configure and apply previous Pref settings to the newer DAW version.

A lot of salient points above - particularly the Mac evangelist attitude - that always gave me the sh***s....

However, I've never had a bluescreen of death on a Mac..... and, as has been discussed in previous threads, there was no way in the world that a number of Windows based PCs would function with my DM - I know you guys have had success, but I have have had rediculously frustrating failure. When I got a Mac it worked - no issues, no sweat - it just worked and has kept on working for the last 3 years.

If I can get a Win PC to work that well I'll happily move platforms (again) and at the same time I'll dump PT and Wavelab and go to Samplitude...... fyi that's the plan sometime in the next 12 months.

I'm happy with any solution that allows the user to make music.

The platform seems less important these days.
Both Mac and PC are using the same chips.
It seems like a matter of taste.

In my case, the current Mac OS is working great with the DM4800.

I've used Mac for so many years that switching would be confusing for me.
I've got a system that works really well for my studio.
A very good friend has a PC based system that works equally well.

I have no ego attachment to Mac vs. PC.
Not sure why this is even a battle these days.
Both platforms are very capable.

Rock on!

I have no ego attachment to Mac vs. PC.
Not sure why this is even a battle these days.
Both platforms are very capable.

Rock on!

Thank YOU!

I have been becoming increasingly annoyed lately with these battle posts and thinking of just going way. But thank you for your balanced post. We should just be making music.

Thank YOU!

I have been becoming increasingly annoyed lately with these battle posts and thinking of just going way. But thank you for your balanced post. We should just be making music.
Speaking of which, I wish more users posted their work. I think there's much to learn from each other about how we produce our music in addition to sharing tips about how to use our mixers. I am interested in how people are tracking live instruments in the context of their recording environments and also mixing techniques. I was messing around with cue mixes last night after setting up Cubase's control room feature thanks to Tascman. It's sounds geeky but it's really increased my environments functionality and also helped me understand the board better.

Last edited:
To clear the air, in case it's still smoggy:

My previous posts re: Mac were tongue in cheek. I hope nobody got offended. In fact, though I probably failed in my attempt at satire, my motive was to show how pointless it IS to debate the Mac vs: PC issue anymore. It's just like the ITB vs: OTB question: there really isn't a question at all. If work is getting done and the platform enables the work flow, there simply isn't anything to disCUSS. :) Rather, it's more constructive to point out the perceived advantages in any system or workflow choice - which I believe that, most of the time, we do here.

Re: posting work:

Personally speaking, I tend to post completed, mastered mixes these days and when I do, it's on the 'Song' forum. But that's just me. :)

CaptDan

Mac vs Windows, one DAW or plugin or audio processor being clearly better than any other...

One of the signs of audio maturity and of achieving true professionalism is when you come to terms and understand that all these things are just merely music production tools, and as such, they all have their merits so this mentality of just using or relying on "one" computer and OS means an incomplete toolset as some software is not cross OS platform compatible and/or some software may run better and be more stable on one platform vs the other.

No one audio tool of any kind will be ever be perfect for everyone as the various working styles, work flow and creativity of the users that use them can be different for each user as well for each song.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P and captdan
Here is another issue i'm having now with my DM4800 and logic. (Remote layer)
So everything works great. Now just got a midi keyboard controller (Novation Impulse 49) and as soon as i connect the USB for the keyboard my DM's "Mackie Externder" (Last 8 channels) disconnect and i get a message from Logic saying:
"Device “Mackie Control Extender #2” is assigned to MIDI Port “DM-4800Remote Port3” which is not present."

It's like the keyboard makes the Tascam last channels disappear. Any suggestions?

Does that keyboard require that you install drivers for it? Does the keyboard have it's own editor app? If so, does the keyboard work/communicate with it?

If you attached the keyboard with the DM and Logic already running it could be some kind of USB discovery issue by the OS and the DAW not updating in real time. I don't remember if Logic has this issue, but some DAW's only scan for attached ASIO and MIDI devices when they are launched. Re-launching the DAW after the device is connected, usually will scan and discover newly attached devices.

Try having the DM and Keyboard attached and powered on, then from a Mac power off state, power up and boot your Mac. After you boot up and before you launch Logic, open the Audio MIDI Setup utility and in the MIDI window, check that the DM and your Keyboard are present and are listed. When you click on it's icon it should not look grayed out which would indicate it is not active.

If the Keyboard and/or the DM have an issue within Audio MIDI utility, then there is little chance they will work in a DAW or with any other software.

Being not a Mac expert here, but I've had some problems with USB devices which were connected to the same internal USB HUB of the computer. Solution is to connect the device to a diffrenet USB port (and hoping the new port is connected to a different internal HUB).

So ... just try as many combinations as possible of connecting your devices to different USB ports and see if this helps.

Reactions: jamsire and captdan
DM-4800Remote Port3

Port #3 is dedicated (or should be) to DM's MTCode. That would be the first thing to check.

The second thing is your Midi Screen (I call it the 'Plumbing Schematic.') You want to be sure MTCode is routed through USB3 in BOTH directions. If there are any other issues in that screen, or if you're not sure either way, post a screen shot of it here. There might be a conflict one of us might discover.

CaptDan

Thanks guys for the replays. I figured it out. It's weird though :)
It's something about the USB like you said. When i connect the keyboard, The dm's last 8 channels were gone so i tried to have the keyboard connected and then reinstall the DM control setup in logic and vualla :) so just to make sure i disconnected the keyboard and plugged it back again. Same thing happens again. Anyway reinstalled the dm again and all is good.

Anyway, Now i'm dealing with another situation. :/
I'm trying to have the MU Meter working from Logic and i did. Works fine but the problem is when i play Cycle mode in Logic, Every time it reaches the end of cycle and start over i have a pause in audio. This only happens when i send MTC to the DM. Any ideas?

This only happens when i send MTC to the DM. Any ideas?

Try reversing the direction: DM sending MTCode to Logic. Choose GENerate INternal in the MMC menu. Tick the 'Internal' option in the Automation MTC menu. Then, change the Logic preferences to accept MTC from DM on USB3, and any other items needing changing according to Logic. (I don't use it, so can't say which items.)

In a loop or cycle event, there should be NO pause at the repeat point; it should occur seamlessly without interrupt. However, your time code might keep counting on the DM while it resets in Logic. This is due, if I recall, to USB carrying MTC instead of a dedicated MTC sync cable. But I could be wrong.

CaptDan

In Cubase when I set up the MTC to the DM I experienced this too. To fix it I had to choose in the MTC setup in Cubase something like "MTC follows project" and that corrected the problem.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.