Dolby ATMOS mixing

HiFiDavid

Gear owned
Tascam DM-3200
Anyone have any experience with their DM as an ATMOS mixer? I have the FW Firewire card and and I started up the Dolby Renderer on my PC... it routed all the outputs to my DM! All 7.1.4 of em on seperate input channels. Can I route all of these to the line outs on the channels? That would give me a really great way to mix live for ATMOS. All I would need is the right amp and speakers.

You are definitely going to be able to do it - there are a few ways.

You can use the “DIRECT” assign on each of the 7.1.4 channels and then tap them wherever those directs are assigned (TDIF, slots, assignable sends, etc.). The DM doesn’t have a lot of analog outputs, but you can solve it pretty easily. For example, if you assign them to the TDIF and need Analog outputs, u could grab a MOTU 2408 for 8 analog outputs.

Also, there is a surround card for the DM but it is limited to 6.1.

Last consideration - DM may be too heavy and fragile for live mixing unless it’s installed at the venue (in which case it might be subject to abuse that would shorten its already lengthy lifespan).

good luck!

Reactions: Peter Batah
We have a surround corner for that. I am dissecting atmos atm. I am not really fond of the format. You create a 5.1 mix. Then with atmos it spreads it across more channels using an interweave protocol that kinda kills localization.

Then there are the two hight channels. If you use your auxes and stereo out as outputs anything can be done.

so last night i was about to reply to this thread saying you can't do it on the DM without a separate ATMOS monitor controller.

However...
right before I hit post I remembered there are channel groups on the DM. you could make 12 input channels your 7.1.4 layout, group them together, then have one fader control those faders in unison. Boom! monitor controller on the DM. A bit janky, yes but considering the console was made probably before ATMOS existed I think it would be a pretty decent solution for the hardware we all have.

You could route those channels to their own respective auxes or busses. Then use the assignable sends, get an AN/DM card, or use a MOTU 2408 connected to the TDIF or ADAT ports for your speaker outputs.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.