DP - 008 EX EQing from an external source

Don L.

Gear owned
DP 008 EX
Wondering if anyone has some experience with running a condenser mic through an external EQ or Hi-pass filter before going into the DP 008 EX? I would like to get a little more control than just the onboard two stage EQ . Thanks

Condenser mics require both power and preamplification. You can't just take a condenser mic and have it "run though" external devices like that.

What is the issue you are experiencing that requires more EQ control?

No serious issues I would like to have more EQ options than just the two on the DP 008 EX. In particular I would like to be able to pinpoint a narrower more specific low frequency that may be to lively or the occasional scratchy high 8 - 10 k range. Mostly pertaining to acoustic guitar but would just like to have, in general, more EQ options for anything I am recording so wondering how I can go through a parametric or 27 band EQ before the recorder. I use all condenser mikes for the recording I do

Long ago when I was jamming with a complete band (including vocals) I had a similar problem. The solution was to have a mixer including phantom power as the 1st stage after the mic and then go send to whatever preprocessing you need before returning to the recording stage. It was (due to only 2 inputs of DP-008) always [instruments/mic] > mixer > [FX] > recorder for band recording.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thank you for your response. I do have a little Berringer mixer that I use for my desk top monitors so will give your idea a go. So if I have it correct I would go into the XLR on the mixer and then out to whatever processing ( EQ ) and then to my DP 008 EX? Again appreciate the feedback. You have been most helpful

Without any specifics about your equipment (beyond your '008 and your mic being a condenser) - it's a little tricky to make specific recommendations.
BUT: as MJ pointed out, no matter WHAT condenser mic you have, it will require +48V (which, presumably, your mixer's input can provide).
You'll have your little mixer's EQ, which may not be any more capable than what's in your '008.
But IF your mixer has AUX send/returns, you could THEN put an external EQ (and/or other FX's) into the mic's signal path, before going OUT of the mixer's main-out/s and INTO your 'oo8's input.
And you might wanna read up on gain-staging before you create MORE problems for yourself...

Thank you for your feedback. It is all becoming a little clearer. I am mainly using my Rodes NT5's for instrument recording and an Audio Technica for vocals. I will continue to research and will read up on Gain Staging

Thank you for your response. I do have a little Berringer mixer that I use for my desk top monitors so will give your idea a go. So if I have it correct I would go into the XLR on the mixer and then out to whatever processing ( EQ ) and then to my DP 008 EX? Again appreciate the feedback. You have been most helpful

In simple terms, yes. However, if your mixer has channel inserts, you can use insert cables to go in and out of the external device and record the output off of the mixer.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.