Dp-03sd, best affordable vocal mic ?

ron robbins

Gear owned
dp-03sd
Hi, new to home recording, finding my great Sennheiser condenser stage-mic isn't really great for recording (or is it just my less-than great singing), can I get something good for under 300$ just using phantom power? thanks!

Thanks Kevin, I was looking at that same item as worth trying. In general, is there a noticeable difference in a modest home-recording setup I'll notice between my nice stage condenser and one of these large-condenser recording mics? And, will I need more power than just my Tascam's built-in PHANTOM to run a mic like this Rode?

Depending on the condenser mic you are using live, you may or may not notice a substantial difference. However, I have found that the Rode mics have a nice transparency to their sound without a lot of color. If you have a fairly dead room, you will not need much EQ to get a very natural sound. As with most condensers, you will find that it can get a little harsh with a hard- loud vocalist.

I use a Rode NT-1000 quite a bit and have been very happy with that. I have also used a MXL 990 and have gotten some nice vocal recordings with that. It's a very affordable mic as I recall.

You will find that the phantom power in the Tascam units are more than adequate. I've used these mics with the DP-01FX, DP‑008EX, and the DP-24SD with no issues whatsoever.

The only time I found the unit's pre-amp unable to provide enough signal, was with a ribbon mic. I purchased a pre-amp specifically for that mic so I could match the resistance.

Kevin

thanks again Kevin, I was checking out that same Rode 1000 as it can handle high spl making it good for horns also which is my other interest for recording. Just finished my first project using my Sennheiser stage mic and the TC-mic mechanic which gives some compression, pitch-correct, etc., and so far so good until I get one of those Rodes !

New threads

Members online

No members online now.