DP-03SD newbie issue, please advise

Archie

Gear owned
DP-03SD
[Moderator Note: 2 similar threads by the same OP are merged here]

Hello to all our there,
I hope you're well!
I may have to post this elsewhere (please let me know) but it's about my new DP-03SD.
I'm using two mics, a Shure 55SH, and a Shure SM57. I've gone into input B trying both mics, to record my guitar and vocal acoustically.
I'm having to access the EQ to up the volume, as both mics are VERY quiet. I've tried with and without Phantom Power.
Should I really need to fiddle with the EQ in order to get my volume level up??
Many thanks in advance if anyone could please advise...

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Tascam team,
I hope I'm not going to annoy anyone with a fairly basic problem. I mentioned it in my introduction, but here goes...
My issue is this-
I'm recording acoustic guitar, and vocals, purely through two microphones, a Shure SM57 and a Shure 55SH series II.
The built in/onboard mics are really good, and pick up well, albeit with background noise.
The external Shure mics, both tried out via inputs, seem VERY low, and I've had to crank the trim knobs almost fully to get what I'd call a 'decent volume'.
Now, I've actually sorted this by going inside the EQ setting, and raising levels in there, but should I have to do this, with two great quality mics??
I understand that the Shures I'm using are 'Dynamic', and that this type of mic shouldn't need Phantom Power.
Would you guys out there have to EQ your mics like this, or is there something I'm missing?
Please help !

It's called "gain staging". "Learn It. Know It. Live It." (with a nod to "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"...).
Sorry. I watched a lot of TV as a kid.

ANYway. The first thing you should probably do is make sure your input selector/s are set correctly. RTM.
After that, you start looking for things like bad cables/connectors, etc...

Reactions: Archie
Thanks Shredd,
Input selectors are fine and correctly set.
I'll have to order some new cables, or borrow some, to see if this changes anything .
Does it sound like something is wrong?
I've been studying the user manual, and it does bring up EQ'ing in the section 'start recording'.
I'm wondering if anyone could attempt a similar set up (use an SM57 with DP- O3SD) to see where the input A/B knob sits, with acceptable volume level through headphones?

Sorry, what's RTM? It's early days for me, even though I've been in and out of studios for years.
Your reply is much appreciated

...The external Shure mics, both tried out via inputs, seem VERY low, and I've had to crank the trim knobs almost fully to get what I'd call a 'decent volume'.
Now, I've actually sorted this by going inside the EQ setting...
The Trim Knob is not a volume control. It's meant to attenuate a hot signal.
EQ should only be used to shape the frequency response.

Factors that could affect low mic volume:
  • Selector switch not set properly
  • Mic placed too far from source
  • Trim Knob not set full right (clockwise) to "mic" position
  • Monitoring level not properly set vis a vis signal level on track

Last edited:
Thanks Shredd,
Input selectors are fine and correctly set.
I'll have to order some new cables, or borrow some, to see if this changes anything .
Does it sound like something is wrong?
I've been studying the user manual, and it does bring up EQ'ing in the section 'start recording'.
I'm wondering if anyone could attempt a similar set up (use an SM57 with DP- O3SD) to see where the input A/B knob sits, with acceptable volume level through headphones?

Sorry, what's RTM? It's early days for me, even though I've been in and out of studios for years.
Your reply is much appreciated
Hi Archie - sorry for my wisenheimer-ism...I'm a beachy old man and it probably shows!
FYI: "RTM" is snarky short-hand for "Read The Manual" - the advice given countless times by forum veterans to people who show up without so much as a 'howdy-do', ask a question they could've resolved themselves by reading the manual, then disappear forever without so much as a 'thanks'.

As noted in other responses: look for setup/settings flaws first. You should NOT have to use the EQ boosts to get an adequate mic-signal level. As @Mark Richards pointed out: "EQ should only be used to shape the frequency response."
THEN start with the process of eliminating weak spots like bad cables and such.
And if your problem is the sound level in your HEADPHONES and not at the input/channel signal/recording levels, then you've got a whole different problem to address.

We'll stay tuned...

Hi Archie, and welcome to the forum!
Your mics are both dynamic mics and have no use for phantom power, so that won't help you (as you found out). But when you talk about 'volume level' is it the level you hear with headphones for instance, or the level of the recorded signal in the display?

Also, you might wanna try positioning these mics closer to the source - especially an SM57 needs quite some noise to produce any level and it might be not the best choice for acoustic guitar. See if you can get the Overload (OL) LED to light up (if only for a test).

Another thing to try would be to also try Input A. As far as I can see, both A and B should behave the same way so try them both with both mics, maybe something's off with one of the inputs..

Reactions: -mjk- and Archie
The Trim Knob is not a volume control. It's meant to attenuate a hot signal.
EQ should only be used to shape the frequency response.

Factors that could affect low mic volume:
  • Selector switch not set properly
  • Mic placed too far from source
  • Trim Knob not set full right (clockwise) to "mic" position
  • Monitoring level not properly set vis a vis signal level on track
Wow, that's mind blowing for a start. My trim knob hasn't been set fully to mic position. I was using this to control volume!
Can you give a new, green, clueless guy any more tips please!?

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hi again,
To those wonderful chaps helping out with responses and replies, I'm honestly using the manual. It's a bit like my numeric dyslexia, after a teacher at infant school made me faint by bollocking me in front of the whole class because I couldn't do a sum using bottle tops. I read, and read, but it's difficult to get info through this brick wall in my head.
Thank you again, for taking time out to help. It's really appreciated

Hi there Arjan,
Thank you so much for your reply. Another helpful forum member has pointed out that I haven't had the input knobs turned fully clockwise to 'mic' position.
I was wrongly using these input knobs as a kind of volume, thinking that it shouldn't be 'all the way up'.
It's kind people like yourself who help others to overcome (sometimes perhaps obvious) little setbacks and misunderstandings. Thank you

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct and Archie
Hi @Archie and welcome. Glad you are getting things sorted. I have nothing whatsoever to add to @Arjan P's perfectly crafted reply. If you follow that advice you will be up and running immediately. I'll move this to the proper forum now.

Reactions: Arjan P and Archie

New threads

Members online

No members online now.