DP-24/32 Import File-Naming Caveats

Mark Richards

Soundaholic
From
Somewhere Near Nashville
Gear owned
DP-24/40-4MTR/M30
I don't recall having seen this mentioned anywhere, but if it has, my apologies.

When importing files via Audio Depot, it's important to remember that the Unit display (DP24 in my case) will truncate long file names to 8 characters.

So 'mysong1trk15.wav becomes 'mysong~1.wav'; 'mysong1trk16.wav' becomes 'mysong~2.wav', etc. on the Unit display.

Knowing this can be important if you are exporting your song to consolidate all the snippets for each track into a contiguous flow for re-import to the Unit (e.g. so you can free up space on the SD card).

Audio Depot will export the actual zz000--.wav files as song-name plus the individual track numbers as the last few characters. But the Unit's display will truncate to eight-places.wav when imported back, removing the track numbers at the end of the file names.

So if track order is important when using the 'Import' function, before making the import to Audio Depot, open Audio Depot on your computer and rename the files on the computer to place the track number first, e.g T15mysong1trk15.wav, T16mysong1trk16.wav, etc. This will make things a lot easier when they are brought back to the unit via the 'Import' function. Just remember that the actual file name must be 15 characters or less or the Unit will not even list it for import.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online