Dp-24 and midi

Use Auto Punch. Problem solved.

Use Auto Punch. Problem solved.
Ummm...I shoulda thoughta that...especially considering I use Auto Punch ALL THE TIME.
That would TOTALLY work.
But I'm apparently maintaining my position as the resident maroon here.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Auto Punch combined with Auto Repeat function is an excellent way to ensure you get the best performance possible.

One of my studio clients has a DP-24 and I asked him to give me a new lead vocal. He used the repeat function and auto punched 8 takes of the lead vocal and sent me all of those tracks. In a very short time I had an excellent vocal track that I has assembled out of those 8 tracks. The machine uses virtual tracks for that function and IMO it's one of the best production techniques available on the DP series of machines.

used the repeat function and auto punched 8 takes
I'd like to simultaneously thank @-mjk- for making me aware of this MOST amazing feature - and conceal my embarrassment at being ignorant of it (after more than a year of owning the DP-32, and 2488's for ages before that - I imagine they did it too!!!).:oops:

And - there it is, right in the O/Manual...and surely in @Phil Tipping 's amazing guide as well...
This could well become my new "most-used" feature, if not my favorite!!!:)

I sometimes wonder if all that time was wasted preparing the Production Tips sticky thread. There are numerous opportunities for incorporating AutoPunch into various production processes, as mentioned in this tip on... Using the AutoPunch Feature (created almost three years ago). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Logrinn
Before my DP-32 arrived, I had already read the OM and watched at least 1/2 of The Tipping Videos on how the machine operates.

I sometimes wonder if all that time was wasted preparing the Production Tips sticky thread. There are numerous opportunities for incorporating AutoPunch into various production processes, as mentioned in this tip on... Using the AutoPunch Feature (created almost three years ago). :rolleyes:
Hey @Mark Richards - my nickels' worth: NOT a waste of time. I've read lots of them and gotten plenny valuable information/clarity on stuff. But hadn't gone through that section...:oops:

Then again - despite having watch all of @Phil Tipping vids repeatedly and many years experience on the 2488's...I still don't know of/understand/utilize all the capabilities. If I did, I'd put my position as Village Idiot at risk.:p

Hey Mark - I think it's safe to assume that many if not most of the people that have benefitted from that amazing resource have come here, found what they were looking for, and moved on without saying a word. It was a very worthwhile endeavor and I have no doubt that there are dozens if not hundreds of people that appreciate and value your efforts as I do. It really is great - what you, MJK, and Phil have done here. I expect to continue to take advantage for years to come.

Once again.... thank you, friend. :)

found what they were looking for, and moved on without saying a word
And without so much as a nod to the expertise OR the work involved...let alone acknowledgement of finding the answer/s they sought, or posting about their resolution for others' benefit.o_O

I think @-mjk- , @Mark Richards , and @Phil Tipping should ALL be awarded a lifetime supply of hot chocolate with little marshmallows.:cool:

Ultimately, we're just going to quit doing though. I received yet another personal attempt insult a day ago. In 2022 we had to ban a record number of people.

I am tempted to make a "Tascam Forums Greatest Hits" video for my studio YouTube channel.

Reactions: Logrinn and dctdct
David, shredd, thanks for those positive comments. Very much appreciated.:)

Reactions: -mjk-
There is a MIDI implementation guide for the original models with MIDI. The original DP can also work as a DAW controller (I may regret having said that). I was able to get it to control faders and pans in Sonar Cakewalk, in a bank of 8 channels via MIDI, with transport controls. I'm sure that it could also work in other DAWs. As for your controller, you're going to have to consult the MIDI implementation guide and see what it takes to control the DP.
Tutorial when? ;)

I’ve tried to do it myself but could only get one track to work at a time, meaning that all faders would control the volume of a single track. I’ve used Logic Pro X

I bought Zoom R8 some time ago and it works well as DAW controller but it would be awesome to be able to use the DP so a tutorial on this topic would be amazing.

Reactions: dctdct
@adwienc as much as I'd like to help, not only am I extremely busy with studio work, any such tutorial would be DAW specific and I don't use Logic. However, as long as you have control over at least 1 track you can use that to write automation. Granted it's not ideal but it's better than using a mouse anyday.

the terrific RC-3F pedal that's made to go with the DP
I wanted to reiterate the incredible capabilities & amazing price/value of this unit, & recommend it for any n all DP’ers.

In recent weeks I’ve been doing a TON of vocals work on songs I’d been sitting on while I muddled through some health issues.

Besides having Pete-Townsend-grade tinnitus & being about 80% tone-deaf…I ALREADY sing like Gilbert Gottfried with a chest cold and a hangover. And being under health problems for better part of a year didn’t help.
So it takes me about 300 takes to get an even decent vocal trax for any of these songs…

So I was using my RC-3F constantly - punching in/out, rewinding back to a marked point, etc.

The moral of the story is that doing these countless takes by having to operate from the panel would’ve been ridiculously cumbersome and annoying…but having the footswitch to make it easy & focus on the singing was priceless!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: dctdct
I'll say it again: Autopunch is the answer to most punching requirements. The footswitch makes it more convenient.

Btw, my footswitch stopped functioning properly less than a year after I bought it. I opened it and was surprised to find 3 "cherry switches" of the type typically used as limit switches on devices - with a very small plastic actuator. The molded plastic top section (what you stomp on) has very thin ribs that engage the small actuators on the switches. Apparently something went misaligned but nothing definite. Upon re-assembly it worked for about a week, after which time I put it in the cabinet and haven't used it since.

I'll say it again: Autopunch is the answer to most punching requirements. The footswitch makes it more convenient.
I'll agree again, @-mjk- - Autopunch is a fantastic feature that solves a LOT of problems...especially when combined with the Repeat feature, that allows you to continue taking Virtual Track takes without stopping.
I've integrated my f/sw into my workflow for times when I'm making many attempts at getting a track (like vox!!). Other times, I can get a satisfactory take in a couple-few tries, and Autopunch works fine.
I've had my f/sw for about a year, and no probs yet...knock on wood. We'll see, I guess. I try to not be too hard on it, having heard plenny about it's "fragile" nature...

New threads

Members online

No members online now.