Dp-24 and midi

Leo Go Live!

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24
Hello! I’m new here. This is a cool forum. I have a DP-24 with MIDI, bought it when they first came out brand new, so I’ve had it about ten years. Anyway, the buttons have started being hard to activate without pressing them really hard. I’ve used contact cleaner like Deoxit and have even taken the DP apart and sprayed them directly underneath to no avail.

My question is could I use another piece of midi gear like a keyboard controller with transport controls to activate the functions on my Tascam? If there is already a thread you can just send me there! Thanks!

I've controlled by DP-32 with Reaper and a MIDI hub, so yes, it's possible to control the transport with MIDI.

Ok cool. I have a Native Instruments Maschine controller with midi but I don’t know how to get it to communicate with the Tascam. I’ve tried but I can’t seem to figure it out!

Anyway, the buttons have started being hard to activate without pressing them really hard. I’ve used contact cleaner like Deoxit and have even taken the DP apart and sprayed them directly underneath to no avail.
That sux like an airplane toilet. I have an OG DP-32; also about 10 yrs old...but in completely mint condition.
But having the buttons "go bad" is a nightmare future that wakes me up sweaty in the middle of the night!!!:eek:

Lol yeah, I mean the unit still works perfectly and is in great shape, sound quality is still on point, no noise, it’s a great machine. I just have to get a few buttons either in better working condition or find a workaround.

I’m more concerned with the stop and record buttons because I don’t want to capture the sound of me having to press them too hard on the microphone. The other functions are only used in non recording situations.

I’m more concerned with the stop and record buttons
Yup - and, of course, they're probably the buttons most of us use the most...and are so important to the general usage of the DP. I'd go nuts if mine stopped working...my DP is essentially the centerpiece of my studio (though I do have a mixer for managing inputs).
Another thing to consider - at least for stop/start/record/etc...you might wanna look into the terrific RC-3F pedal that's made to go with the DP. Terrific unit - quiet - AND, most importantly, can be programmed from the Preferences pane in the menu to do what you want it to. Here's a recent discussion of it.

Reactions: David Porter
Ok I’m glad you mentioned that because I thought about the footswitch as well but wasn’t sure if it was quiet enough when using it. Thanks for the suggestion and I’ll check out that discussion!

Reactions: -mjk-
In the manual on page 102 (18 - Appendix) you have the MMC (MIDI machine control) messages necessary to work the start and stop commands.
Could be that the Native Instrument Maschine controller doesn’t send these messages as a default but that you have to program them yourself (if that’s possible).

Have just checked the Maschine+ manual and can't find any mention of MMC, although it seems it can send Note-On/Off messages so you can trigger sounds from external gear. I've only recently acquired a Maschine+ so if you get nowhere, I'll try connecting it to a computer to monitor the MIDI traffic (e.g. with MIDIOX).

Update: Maschine+ definitely sends MMC messages :) (hopefully the other Maschine models are similar).
In Settings, MIDI, there's an option for Output Devices. I used the 5-pin MIDI output so set the Status for MIDI 1 to On (you can scroll through all the output devices and toggle the status for each one separately).
MaschineMMC.jpg

Last edited:
Ok cool. I have a Native Instruments Maschine controller with midi but I don’t know how to get it to communicate with the Tascam. I’ve tried but I can’t seem to figure it out!

There is a MIDI implementation guide for the original models with MIDI. The original DP can also work as a DAW controller (I may regret having said that). I was able to get it to control faders and pans in Sonar Cakewalk, in a bank of 8 channels via MIDI, with transport controls. I'm sure that it could also work in other DAWs. As for your controller, you're going to have to consult the MIDI implementation guide and see what it takes to control the DP.

Thanks you everyone for your responses, helpful information and suggestions. I think I’m going to just leave it alone. Yes the buttons are a mild irritant but it’s not enough to keep me from using the Tascam. I’ll manage! If all else fails I still have my DAW, (which I don’t wanna use but will if necessary) or I may try again some other time.

Reactions: Phil Tipping
I just got to thinking, all I’m really concerned about is not capturing any noise from pressing the buttons when I’m recording with a microphone. I completely forgot that there’s two noise suppressors in the DP-24. One for the input and the other as a guitar effect to use either when recording or on playback. I can set the noise suppressor to sort of act like an expander to minimize or eliminate any little noise that may result from pressing the buttons enough so it’s not a problem! That should be more than sufficient!

I would be wary of using a noise suppressor just to avoid/reduce button clicks. There's plenty of room on the card, so don't be afraid of letting the recording run for a while before starting the performance. Any clicks/rubbish captured at the start can be tidied up later (ditto for rubbish at the end). You could edit them out using the Track Edit functions (they're worth getting to know as they're so useful and quick to apply), or do it at mixdown time by setting the IN & OUT markers.

Reactions: David Porter
Potentially. It depends how much of the click is being picked up by the mic and how much you want to suppress it. If there are wanted signals below the threshold level, they'll get suppressed too, so it also depends on the type of music. If it's a delicate vocal, you may hear the suppressor 'breathing'.
It just seems like a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' solution if there's only one click at the start, and one at the end :)

I see. Well I haven’t experimented with it yet. I’ll do some test recordings and see how they sound. If what you say happens then I’ll take your advice and just do some editing. Thank you Phil!

I’m several levels below @Phil Tipping on the recording food chain - but I agree 100%:
The Noise Suppressor could cause as many problems as it resolves.
And if the recording mic picking up button clicks is your only problem, than minute modifications to your recording habits and familiarity with the DP’s considerable editing capabilities is going resolve about 99.2% of the issue!:cool:

I also continue to recommend the RC-3F footswitch. I freekin’ LOVE mine; it’s cleaned up/speeded up my workflow enormously!:D

New threads

Members online