Alternative to the expensive TASCAM RC-3F foot pedal with the fragile 2.5mm plug?

multiverse

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD 32-Track
Are there any alternatives to the rather expensive TASCAM RC-3F "punch-in, punch-out" foot pedal with the fragile 2.5mm plug? I read in reviews that it's a good pedal, but for fifty bucks it seems like an expensive add on. Also, I read in a lot of reviews that it's quite easy to break the 2.5mm by accident. Thanks.

AFAIK, no. That footswitch has some active electronics so its not a simple open/close mechanical switch.

Reactions: multiverse
It is worth the money. I can't imagine DP-32SD life without it. Incredibly useful. Knowing what I know now.... looking back over the last 7+ years - I would pay twice the amount.

Regarding the front jack/plug.... I've never come close to damaging it. Maybe it'll happen tomorrow- but I doubt it. I'm super careful with this hi-tech piece of hardware and have set it up in a way that minimizes the risk.:)

Thanks for the insight David. Much appreciated.

Seems odd that Walmart would offer this...

Agreed, but FWIW, I once found some outdoor sporting gear that I needed on WallyWorld at well below Bass Pro or Cabela's pricing; and the seats on my boat were 30% lower there than at any marine suppliers. It's often worth the look -- and I have not been burned yet.

Old No7

The price seems pretty consistent everywhere so I placed an order with B&H. Free two-day shipping, plus I love to support those guys.

Thanks for all the comments. Looking forward to giving the unit a try.

@multiverse, the pedal is invaluable. I suspect the issues people have with the cable breaking is because the cable is pretty long and if it's stepped on while plugged in, the weakest point is going to get stressed, get weaken and break.

I loop the cable over an arm from my mixer stand and pull the slack out of the way to keep it from getting stepped on. Been working great without issues.

Photos of my RC-3F connected: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jrxRql6sO7mwMz6nw_sa_SbNA-rBT2aD/view?usp=sharing

Working smart and clean allows gear to last longer. :)

I hated the price tag too - it seemed excessive. But I think it’s essential for getting the best workflow and getting the most out of the machine. I do not regret it at all. But once, cry once!

Looks like I'm pretty late to this post.
But I'll add my vote: "don't think about it - BUY it".

I had a simple normally-open SPST-type footswitch on my 2488neo. It literally did nothing whatsoever but punch-in/punch-out...but I was glad to have it to keep my hands free.

The DC-3f is light-years beyond that in its' capabilities. It's an "active" switch - even has batteries - and is designed to interact the the DP's ability to assign any of about 1/2-dozen functions to ANY of the 3 pedals. So you can completely set it up to suit your needs/workflow.

Like a few other posters - I can't imagine NOT having one with my DP-32. It has cleaned up my workflow, enabled significant studio abilities, and eased a number of troublesome tasks.

I got mine for a pretty typical US price, and thought it was expensive for what it is...but knowing what I know now, it'd be worth it at twice the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axe Victim
Mine has given me trouble. For some reason the switches are tiny sensor type and they depend upon a rib of plastic on the pedal to hit the switch. Mine stopped working and I opened it up. I couldn't see why it wasn't working so I put it back together and it worked - go figure, I did nothing. Then shortly thereafter it stopped working and I put it in the cabinet.

Mine has given me trouble
Well, that bytes!o_O

I'll surely agree w/above posters that it's not an especially sturdy construction, and requires light use/handling...and not sure how durable it would be. I've read blog posts of people who broke theirs (usually the plug!) and Tascam told them "just throw it away and buy a new one"! Wouldn't even release the wiring so they could replace the plug...)
Tom's method of keeping the cable neatened will surely keep the delicate-plug-breakage risk down. I do the same thing.
Your pedals/buttons thing is much rarer...only came across 2 or 3 reviews out of hundreds on amazon mentioning that (though MANY mentioned the flimsy plug thing!)
  • Perhaps you got a lemon?
  • A rip-off? (I just had a friend get dinged for over 4 grand for a "chibson"!!!)
  • Or a 'refurb'/return?
  • Or it's just had heavier use than it's up to?

I also taped the cable coming out of the pedal so if I move the pedal with my feet I won't yank the cable and damage the input point .
I'd post a pic but apparently I don't have permission lol

Reactions: shredd and -mjk-
I also taped the cable coming out of the pedal so if I move the pedal with my feet I won't yank the cable and damage the input point .
I'd post a pic but apparently I don't have permission lol
I don't think ANYone can post pics here. You have to upload/host them somewhere else, then you can post a link here.
I think it's POSSIBLE there was a time a posted link showed a thumbnail/preview of the image - I've seen that in many posts on the forum - but I imagine that went the way of affordable housing and honest politicians...never to be seen again...:confused:

RE - the pedal cable - BRILLIANT idea!
I've now done the same thing - I just put a small 'loop' for strain relief in the cable, then used black duct tape (very strong) to tape it against the back of the pedal, so if the cable gets pulled by movement or whatever, it'll pull against the taped part, not at the juncture of the pedal's body, and the tape and the cable itself will absorb the pull.
I put a pic of it here.

I realize, of course, that using duct tape on a perfect-condition piece of equipment is incredibly barn-job'y, and renders the resale value of the pedal somewhere around the cost of a chewed piece of gum.
But I don't care - I LOVE the thing and will NEVER sell it, unless someone pries my DP-32 out of my cold dead hands.

Last edited:
I bought some long 2.5mm trrs extension cables to reach my drum kit, so if the jack breaks it will be the extension cable that I can replace.

Reactions: shredd and -mjk-

New threads

Staff online

Members online