DP-24 "Dumb Question" Time! :D

From
California
Gear owned
Portastudios
Hey, everyone.

Question: Are tracks 13/14, 15/16, etc., etc. stereo tracks automatically? That is, if I record a drum track (from a drum machine) onto tracks 13/14, it becomes a stereo track by default? Or.... does one need to export 2 separate tracks (say 1 and 2) onto 13/14 in order for it to be a true stereo track?

In other words, does a stereo track need to consist of two uniquely recorded tracks, which are then exported to 13/14, etc.? Or does the DP-24, itself, create the stereo track when recording directly onto 13/14, 15/16...?

Thank you!

They are stereo tracks so the machine will automatically record 2 files onto the sdcard, one for left, the other for right. If you have a stereo source, you'd typically plug the left & right signals into a pair of adjacent inputs, say A & B, and assign them to the stereo track, e.g. A to 13, B to 14. On playback, the stereo track is routed correctly to the stereo bus which then goes to the stereo output. No panning is required. There are no stereo inputs.
Not sure what you mean by the phrase "export 2 separate tracks onto 13/14". If you're talking about recording a drum machine via the analogue inputs, the term 'export' doesn't apply as it's a process for transferring tracks out of the machine to another device.

Reactions: Bourbon_In_Burbank
Nothing prevents importing 2 tracks to a stereo track. They will play hard left and right and be linked on one fader. But you can change the balance control between them.

Yes, they are default. I had a song template that had all tracks set to mono so I could do a ton of mono overdubs on 20 straight tracks. Then I would export those to the audio depot and import them were I wanted to place them in the main song template. You should check out Phil's videos on using song templates: https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/37984

Not sure what you mean by the phrase "export 2 separate tracks onto 13/14". If you're talking about recording a drum machine via the analogue inputs, the term 'export' doesn't apply as it's a process for transferring tracks out of the machine to another device.

Yeah, I guess what I meant was "bounce" two tracks to a stereo track. :D

So basically, from what you and mjk have said, both scenarios apply. Recording one instrument to 13/14 is a stereo track, as is recording two instruments on two mono tracks, and then bouncing them to 13/14.

I just needed clarification on that. Thanks!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
In order to not avoid creating a new thread, that may have already been addressed somewhere else around here...

Is there a carrying case/gig bag, etc. that will work for the DP-24? I see a case specifically made for the Model 12, and one for the Mixcast 4. But nothing for these DP models. Strange!

I'll use whatever—need not be a TASCAM brand.

Thanks.

Reactions: -mjk-
Google turned this up. Sweetwater might carry something similar.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.