Dp-24 dynamic compressor effectiveness

Dave Zippi

-First of all, I'm very impressed with the knowledge base of the moderators on this Forum.

-I have a very basic question!

-Using a "Analog-Pedal Chain" I just recorded about a minute of really super tasteful lead guitar solo parts. A week later I noticed that some of the notes really jumped out quite a bit & that I forgot to turn on my compreesor pedal when recording. I'd hate to have to re-do them since I don't know if I'd be that lucky again.

-I know that I can ride the fader to fix this but I'm curious.

-Has anyone ever used the TASCAM DP-24 Send "DYNAMICS COMPRESSOR" for a single track.

-Has anyone had good or bad results? Does anyone have any recommended settings?

-Just Curious & Thanks!

-DAVE

Hi @Dave Zippi - and congrats on nailing a terrific take on your solo. This weekend, I spent over 4 hours doing takes of an approx 90 second solo, with so many botched attempts, you'd have thunk I was trying to become Speaker of the House.:p

ANYway. Here's what I'd do:
BOUNCE the track, using compression (I think you could use EITHER an insert or a send effect...have a look at Phil T's terrific stickie on FX...).

The benefit here is that if you don't like what the compression does to the take, you cn just reset the compressor settings, and do it again. As many times as you like, until it sounds like you want. Or you become Speaker...:rolleyes:

And - not to be a wyz-azz...but (duh): BACK UP your work...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Zippi
Has anyone ever used the TASCAM DP-24 Send "DYNAMICS COMPRESSOR" for a single track.
Applying Dynamic Effects to a single previously recorded track discussed here (Production Tips sticky thread 2019 posts) and here (Phil Tipping's excellent 2020 Video posts).

Dynamic Effects are only available on the Inputs.

any recommended settings?
The Production Tips sticky thread has posts on recommended initial "Low", "Mid", and "High" compression settings for mastering. Those settings generally can serve as a guide when using the Dynamic Compressor's "Threshold", "Ratio", "Attack", "Release", and "Gain".

Last edited:
Hey Shredd,

Thanks for the practical bouncing suggestion as well as your humorous wit.
Sometimes I get over-whelmed. LOL!!!

-Dave

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.