DP-24 file error due to too many zz files

Mark Sharp

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24 and DP-32
Hello, this has been an ongoing issue and in other sections of this forum it seems that the issue has been explained as each time a function is accomplished, even just a start and a stop, the recorder creates another “zz” file. Eventually, there are so many “zz” files that the recorder’s brain can’t navigate them all to play the track seamlessly. A “file error” results, often locking up the recorder.

ok, I believe I understand WHY it is happening, just unclear on the solution.

It was explained to export each track (to the computer), using “file depot” and then rename the song and then import the files back into the recorder (from the computer) onto the SD card once again. This will supposedly get rid of all of the “extra files” and once again, the recorder will be able to seamlessly play the track with no issues.

That’s fine, except me being new to this, I don’t understand how to accomplish that.
I hook up a usb cable to the recorder and then the contents of the SD card show up on the computer screen. Ok, what next? How do I get it to MOVE or export the song files to a spot in the computer (for either back up, or just to re-import them back into/onto the sod card), so all of the extra zz files are eliminated?? The steps in the device manual explains how to start the file export process, BUT, it doesn’t explain where the files will go to reside in the computer. Does a folder get automatically created? I don’t see one...I’m sure it is something simple, but, what am I not getting here? Can someone please give me a comprehensive step by step procedure that I might be able to understand?
It would be so much appreciated. I keep losing hours of work and it is frustrating when I have to delete hours of work and start completely over.

Thanks so much.
Mark

Last edited:
Before you do that, try cleaning out the song files first. It's on the Song menu.

You don't need a computer to copy files into a new song.
  1. Go to the Audio Depot menu and check all the tracks you want to export.
  2. Make a new song with the same resolution settings.
  3. Load the new song.
  4. Go back to Audio Depot and input the tracks you exported earlier.
@Phil Tipping's tests seem to indicate that the number of zz files has no negative impact on the recorder functions. We're not completely sure why it happens sometimes, but export/import is recommended by Tascam as a solution.

If you are experiencing actual "file error" messages, then that is SD card related. Make sure your firmware is current and you are using an approved SD card.

Welcome to the forum Mark. As MJ said above, you don't need a computer to export/import... but there is a 'delete unused' function in the song menu which clears out redundant zz files, so this is worth doing regularly. Update - I think maybe MJ meant this when he said to 'clean out the song first' so apologies :)

The difference is that export/import merges all the zz files required for the current state of each track, so you'll end up with one zz file per track, whereas the 'delete unused' function only deletes unused zz files so you could still have multiple zz files per track. Either way, the total number of files will be reduced.
You may find the latter is all you need (it's quicker & easier than export/import) but it seems to depend on how many record passes or punch-ins you've done and how many songs are on the card.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online