DP-24 lack of scenes question

cda

I am thinking of buying a DP-24 or DP-32 but the lack of scenes may be a problem for me. I have read the manual/s and searched online, but to no avail.

What I would like to know is whether or not all eq, pan, fx, fader settings for a song are saved with the song and then restored with the song when loaded again.

Here is a working example of what I am asking: let's say I have been mixing a song, and decided to work on another. Can I save the current song, load another, work on that, save it, and then load in the first song and carry on where I left off, with all the eq, pan, fx and fader settings restored? On my 2488 Neo, I use scenes to do this.

BTW, I realise the faders and controls are not motorised! I am referring to internal settings - where the faders are concerned, there is a screen where fader levels can be seen according to the manual.

Many thanks to any help anyone can give,

CDA.

Yes, all eq pan and FX settings are saved, but not fader level. Check you have the latest firmware though, because I beleive this was an issue on early versions. (Check Release Notes on TASCAM web site).

There are ways to recall the fader settings also via MIDI, but that's a bigger topic.

To be clear, these settings are a snapshot of where you last saved. You don't have scene automation.

Like I hint though, all these settings incl. fader can be automated in real-time via MIDI. i do this rather than importing the songs straight to a DAW.

Thanks very much for the reply. A snapshot is all I need, but if fader levels are not included in this snapshot then I will have to leave the DP24. I have not been able to absolutely find out whether fader levels are recalled or not, so I may have to demo the unit (difficult for me) or get one on approval.

I have a collection of songs to mix on my 2488, and when that is done I will see about moving on.

To be clear, these settings are a snapshot of where you last saved. You don't have scene automation.

Like I hint though, all these settings incl. fader can be automated in real-time via MIDI. i do this rather than importing the songs straight to a DAW.

I sure would like to know how to implement MIDI based mix automation. Please, do tell!

It's been my understanding that fader levels ARE saved with the song ... but of course, the physical faders don't move accordingly, and when you do move one the setting is overwritten and the new one written with the next save or close.

This is just one reason I take my tracks to my Mac for processing. While I love the DP24 for recording, everything else is simpler in a DAW.

mjk, Statikant hasn't been on the forum in five years, so I don't think he's going to give us the solution, if there ever was a practical one in the first place for automating the faders.

Absent automation, there's no logical reason for programming the software to save the fader settings (in TASCAM's world view). So when a song is loaded, the Mixer screen reflects the current fader position regardless of what it was when the song was unloaded. If the faders were left untouched, you're golden when the song is reloaded (obviously), but if the faders were moved, no joy.

Found this from a 2014 thread:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/suggestion-for-the-next-portastudio.2236/#post-8173

I use digital images of the board setup to keep a record of my fader positions and store the images in the respective song folders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven L. Stevens
i'd like to make automated moves in mixing, so i'm investigating using MIDI control since fader level is controllable in real time, along with many other parameters. thanks for the info on Statikant, Mark.

]....I use digital images of the board setup to keep a record of my fader positions and store the images in the respective song folders.
And I thought I was a bit odd for taking photos of fader settings :). Good to see others are doing the same!

Reactions: -mjk-
Steven, there is nothing odd whatsoever with documenting any and all settings you need!

Reactions: Steven L. Stevens

New threads

Members online

No members online now.