DP-24SD Turning off & on by itself*

FreedomRegg

Gear owned
DP-24SD
Greetings!
I'm a proud owner of a DP-24SD!
I haven't been on it for a little more than a month.
This morning I tried to turn it on (as usual) & it was already on.
2 minutes later, it turned off by itself. I tried to turn it back on, but wouldn't come on.
I unplugged it. It came on without me holding the on button. Odd?!
I started my session & 10 minutes in, it went off mid-session playback!
I've tried to record when it comes back on. One time; I couldn't hear any track!
It went off & on... I could hear the tracks.
I have no idea what is going on!

HELP*
***Addition: I unplugged the power supply from the studio; plugged it in again & it came on by itself!

Last edited:
I’m no rocket surgeon…and as the Resident Village Idiot, I usually refrain from giving advice. There’s very smart people here that know better/are more experienced with this gear.
But it sure sounds to me like sticky/dirty and/or damaged power switch contacts.

Sell it and find a 2488 somewhere. The comparisons aren't even close. Dsp is a piece of [edited by moderator] gave me nothing but headaches

Last edited by a moderator:
  • tried to turn it on (as usual) & it was already on
  • minutes later, it turned off by itself
  • tried to turn it back on, but wouldn't come on
  • unplugged it. It came on without me holding the on button
  • 10 minutes in, it went off mid-session playback
  • when it comes back on. One time; I couldn't hear any track
  • went off & on... I could hear the tracks
  • unplugged the power supply from the studio; plugged it in again & it came on by itself
FreedomRegg,

Your problem seems to be a one-off that, as shredd indicated, may be due to a faulty or damaged switch or power supply; or perhaps due to the path through which your unit is connected to the mains wall receptacle.

To my knowledge, your power issue is the only report of this type of problem on this forum.

A scan through this forum indicates the DP-24/32/SD portastudios have proven to be very effective music production tools; and have been highly reliable over the years. Most user issues have been production related; and those traced to user error, inexperience or failure to understand signal flow/routing, outdated firmware, or use of SD cards not tested/approved by TASCAM.

To better assess your power issue, here are some troubleshooting steps to take (to provide structured information to TASCAM if necessary):
  1. Turn unit "On" if not already on
  2. Assure you have the most current firmware installed
  3. Format a new TASCAM tested and approved SD card (to start from a clean slate)
  4. Assure "Auto Power Save" is set correctly in Preferences
  5. Press power button to turn unit "Off"
  6. Unplug the DP-24SD proprietary power supply from mains.
  7. Unplug power supply from unit.
  8. Move unit to a different room/location
  9. Plug power supply into unit
  10. Plug power supply directly into mains
  11. Observe result
  12. Place On/Off switch to "On" position
  13. Observe result.
If the problem goes away, stop. Issue is not the unit or the power supply.

If problem remains and is repeatable following above steps, suggest contacting TASCAM support.

If solution is found, please come back to the forum and share how the issue was resolved.

Last edited:
Sell it and find a 2488 somewhere. The comparisons aren't even close. Dsp is a piece of shit gave me nothing but headaches

It's called a DP-24/32(SD) - not "dsp". I've had mine for almost 9 years and have never had a problem (that wasn't of my own making). One could say that mine has "high mileage" - yet it still works perfectly. I have never had errors, freezes, lost data, button issues, etc. But I bought mine new and have followed "the rules" and have taken good care of it. I also understood exactly what the features were prior to purchase. I absolutely love mine; still. *Incredible* technology for $400.00 (<----I got my DP-32SD on sale back in the day).

Maybe I'm just lucky. But I don't think so.

You're not. I've had the same experience - with ALL my Tascam gear, including all 3 incarnations of the 2488, and now my O/G DP-32! :cool:

And - unlike @Old No7, who lives in ME (which is apparently dust free!) - the physical environment I live in is FILTHY with dust. I have to cover and clean constantly...

Last edited:
It's called a DP-24/32(SD) - not "dsp".

I agree with your second point there. These are really solid, capable machines.

I presume 'dsp' means 'digital signal processing'. I have no idea why that would have given someone headaches on the DP series though. Seems fine to me. Perhaps they run things too loud? ;)

Reactions: -mjk-
I've had my unit for 1 year. I'm having the same power issue. It's been great until this all of a sudden. The power is turning on and off randomly. I haven't tried recording anything since this started. I have used playback and it works as long as the unit stays on. Sometimes the power switch works, sometimes it doesn't. When I plug the power cord into it, it usually boots up by itself without touching the switch. If happens not to, then the switch will work to turn it on but then soon the unit will shut down by itself. I think it's been possessed ;-)

Last edited:
I don't know if the OP ever got to the bottom of their problem - as Mark said, it's not known to be a common issue with the DP series (unlike the Model 12, which does have switch issues; I have a couple of spares hanging around for mine, just in case...).

May be worth trying the steps that David suggested above, to rule out any external power factor, and contact TASCAM if necessary.

I'm no expert, but presumably it would be simple enough & safe to isolate and check whether the PSU is putting out a consistent & adequate supply as well, given the right gear (a multimeter presumably?), knowledge and skills (neither of which I have, so take that with a pinch of salt!)

Or, given your final comment, you could contact a priest?

Reactions: Bliss
After examining all suspect external issues, the experts at Tascam have agreed that it's an internal electrical issue causing these symptoms. The unit is being sent in for evaluation, repair or replacement. I'll post results after the evaluation.

Reactions: Stew71 and -mjk-

New threads

Members online