-mjk-

Staff member
From
Hukou Township, Hsinchu County, Taiwan
Website
phoenixmediaforge.com
Gear owned
DP-32, | 2A Mixer, A3440
Doing a test mixdown, 16 seconds in, the machine stopped and gave me a "file error" message. there was a back arrow, and pressing it closed the dialog but the machine was stopped in a sort-of "record standby" where the record light was blinking but the transport was stopped (never saw that before). trying to return to Multitrack mode was unsuccessful - endless reels turning, to the point where i had to pull the plug. figuring that a week's worth of work was gone - imagine how surprised i was when the machine rebooted and played the tracks as if nothing happened. i went to the Song menu and decided to Delete Unused. the file was 1.6GB in size, and that took it down to 600MB. now all seems well. FYI

I had a very similar occurrance just the other day. This was after upgrading firmware but not reformatting that particular card. I'm moved my song data, did a full reformat of card, reloaded song and performed the same function several times with no issue.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
You might want to tuck this tidbit away for the future:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/curing-a-failed-sd-card.5167/#post-27031

Past discussions around these kinds of issues raised speculation, by Phil I think, that if there are numerous edits, virtual tracks, anything that creates lots of short snippets of .zz files, etc. the DP processor can't always keep up, causing a freeze. I'll see if I can find the post.
Here it is:
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/defective-dp24sd-after-one-day.5209/#post-25664

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
Mark, thanks so much for looking those up. That's kind of the same conclusion I came to. It's a good idea to clean out the unused data.

Should this thread be deleted because it's been covered so well in the other threads?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Richards
mjk, just to clarify, "Delete Unused" will free up disk space, but the only way to consolidate all the small zz snippets and get rid of them is to import/export using Audio Depot.

I don't think there's any harm in leaving the thread up.

Reactions: -mjk-
I was just reading Phil's post today in the other thread on this topic, and I'll defer to him on the matter of zz files / "Delete Unused".

My (different) approach (inspired by Phil, and which I should have made clear in the above post) has been to export the completed tracks, create a new song called "final[songname]", and then import the tracks to that. I use the "final[songname]" for mixing and mastering, and delete the entire original song from the SD card (or archive it on the computer until I'm sure I won't need it again).

Last edited:
Mark, thank you for the clarification, and I do understand exactly what you mean. I'm gonna end up exporting the tracks anyway, because I'm gonna get my pal back in the States to play bass tracks for me so, might as well just reimport them and clean things up.

Having multiple "songs" makes a lot of sense too. We have to stop thinking of them necessarily as just songs, and more as simply collections of audio files. That's a great technique Mark, and I want to thank you for sharing that!

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hello there, I just wanted to add some info from my little experience because I just had the same "file error" message a few minutes ago on my DP-24 while recording, exactly just after I press stop and the file was being recorded to the card and the message appeared a couple of seconds later, had to pull the plug to get access back to the DP-24,

anyway what I wanted to say is that there was not a lot of edition there, I was re-recording the same "part" for the third time on the same track, and another part was already recorded on another track, that's it.

I think I will move the data then reformat the card, will go and read that topic link posted by Mark to get some infos.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.