DP-32SD channel A not recording

DekeDee

Gear owned
Tascam dp-32sd
hi anyone know why channel A record button won’t engage to record, seems to work when mute is pressed, any settings I should check and is this a common fault?

Was ok then stopped all of a sudden?

Thanks

Have you updated your firmware to the most current version?

I updated a couple of years ago I think in 2015 or 2016 has there been more new updates since then?

Tried update didn’t work
Anything else it could be apart from a broken record button

Is there any other way to engage record on channel 1 a that can be done without pressing the button?

No just the source or channel select and they work fine

Reactions: -mjk-
The difficulty in responding to your request is that it fosters assumptions by the reader that may or may not be correct.;)

So, please list, step by step, in order, exactly what you are doing.

Also, please use accurate, precise descriptions (e.g. Input A; Track 1; Input A Source Button; Track 1 Select Button; Track 1 REC Button; Master Record Button, etc.)

Last edited:
ok here goes...........

On input A track 1 assigned I am trying to arm the track for recording and the button will not engage record, nor does it engage if I try to mute or solo the track which I suspect is a faulty button. My question was.......is there any other way to engage record on this track without pressing the button?

Ok. That's much clearer. The Track 1 REC button doesn't light up when pressed.

General Maxim:
If engaging multiple tracks at once a maximum of 8 Tracks can be recorded simultaneously, and a Stereo Track counts as two tracks.

But that isn't the situation in your case. You're only trying to record on one Track.

As the MUTE/SOLO functions also fail to light the Track 1 REC button:

(a) The most likely culprit is dust, moisture residue, or lint on the contact under the REC button. You may want to try applying Deoxit according to the product instructions.

(b) The next possibility is the light burned out. Turn your unit on, load your reset template song, press the REC button, then the RECORD button to see if the RECORD button lights up anyway.

(c) The least likely possibility is the contact or circuit has failed.

Is there any other way to engage record on channel 1 a that can be done without pressing the button?
There's no other way to engage recording on a Track if the REC button won't activate the recording circuit.

is this a common fault?
I've had my DP-24 for 7 years with no issues that Deoxit didn't fix, and off hand I don't recall any posts about a REC button/circuit failure.

To see if any one else has reported this issue you can do an Advanced Search of the forum using "rec button" [include the quotes]. If there are any hits they will be displayed in the Site Results tab.

Note that the search engine isn't very smart. Despite putting the search term is quotes, it may also return posts that contain only the letters "rec" or only the word "button".;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply

How do you apply deoxit ....can it be sprayed without taking the unit apart?

Is deoxit an electrical cleaner fluid?

Deoxit seems to be magic in a can. Pricey but worth having.

I had a dodgy track select button on my dp24 and had tried another cheaper switch cleaner product (from the now defunct Maplin here in the UK) which hadn't worked.

Bought a can of Deoxit on ebay for about £25, gave it a few tiny sprays whilst pressing the button on and off, and it's much better. I imagine some more applications might get it from 90% to 100% reliability (it was about 40% before Deoxit).

Reactions: DekeDee and -mjk-
I used a similar product by Caig to restore a $150k Neve console. A canned miracle.

Reactions: DekeDee
Thanks guys I will give it a go

Hope it works as I love my tascam unit it’s brilliant

@DekeDee thank you for the follow-up post. It really helps the knowledge base!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.