Dp24 - help

Alan Whittle

Gear owned
tascam 2488
my god this machine is complicated. i've been using the zoom mrs1608 for about ten years, but i found it limiting.

i liked the idea of the extra trax. i liked the idea that i could assign several traxx to one input.

i play guitar and sing. my intention was to take up five trax for the guitar -different effects panning and eq on each track. to play with this sound before recording it - rather than record and then copy the trax and then fiddle about with a recorded sound.

at the moment. i can't get . a simple two tracks with reverb on the vocal and chorus on one track of guitar. if anyone could write down a simple breakdown of making that first step - i'd be so grateful. i have spent three days puzzling over the manual - it seems very confusing

Hi Alan. Not sure if you got it sorted as there are no replies, but it may help if you sketch out the routing you want for each track, then map this onto the machine. There's a sticky post in this section showing which effects are available in each of the routes, and/or watch the tutorial on youtube as it may explain your routing options more graphically than just writing down a long list of 'click this', 'set that'..etc.. instructions.

thanks for your reply phil. do you use this machine. i've bought a 2nd hand 2488 and a new dp24sd in the last few weeks . i'm nor really sure as yer how things are going to work. i've had colds - patricks night gigs and generally not getting on with the business in hand. the dp24 seems short on the guitar effects front. is there a separate sound card you could have fitted with more effects on. where are you based.

I use the machine a lot for recording off site, but usually process the wave files back at base on a different setup. I also use it for recording and overdubbing my attempts at performing & overdubbing when I can't be bothered to switch all the other gear on!
From what I've read, the 2488 has more functionality so don't know if having both machines offers any advantages. There are no add-ons for the dp24/32, apart from using the two Send outputs for external FX. Yes the Guitar track effect is a bit disappointing in that there is only one, but it's a block of 4 FX so is very powerful, and there are other options depending on what you are trying to achieve. You can always use Bouncing to apply multiple Guitar FX in several passes. We used to dream of this facility back in the tape days where every bounce had to be weighed up against the degradation from tape hiss etc... and now we can do an infinite no. of bounces, people still complain as this takes too much time! How expectations change :)
I'm in West Wales, near Lampeter - you're very welcome to visit if it's not too far for you. There's an email address on my PhiLiZound website if you want to get in touch.

New threads

Members online