DP24SD File Full Message

WillisJ

Gear owned
Tascam DP24SD
Good Morning! I have the dp24sd and have had no trouble with it until I was working on a new song. I am unable to do additional recording as it says the file is full. I noticed when I load the song it says it is over 7GB and when I was copying it to the computer it said the song file had 192 items. I did record at the highest quality level but have never come close to this amount of storage before. I searched the forum but did not find this particular message. Any assistance provided will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. 7GB is certainly a lot :) but more info would be helpful, e.g. how did you create the song in the first place? How long is it, and how many tracks are involved? Are you running the latest firmware?

Hey Phil! Thanks for the reply. The song is 4 minutes in length and I have recorded on all tracks but 3. I did all the recording using my guitar through a Roland gr55. My thoughts were to eliminate useless tracks without erasing the good takes I have recorded. Thanks much!

The 'delete unused' function will clear out redundant data, but it would be interesting to find out where 7GB of files came from so you can prevent it happening again. It may be an accumulation of files if you've done a lot of retakes, but you'd need an enormous number of these to reach 7GB! Was the card empty when you started? Did you connect it to a computer first, and maybe accidentally drag/dropped files from the computer onto it?
If you browse the card contents using your computer, can you see any large file sizes? Check all the folders, not just the MUSIC folder.
If not, the card may have been corrupted and is reporting false info to the machine.
You didn't say if you are running the latest firmware. Old firmware can cause strange behaviour (as can faulty sd-cards) .

I did update the firmware after I saw the file full message. As I was attempting to read the contents of the storage card (it has several other songs on it, 32gb) my computer locked up, which it never did before. I had to shut it down by pushing the power button and restarting does not solve the problem. I hope by running the battery down my computer issue will be solved and I can read the card, after which I will send an update. Thanks

Hey Phil, thanks for your advice and help. After finally getting the card out of the computer I put it back in the 24 and did the delete unused data and cleared about 7gb from the song file and am back in business. I did not realize there was the delete feature on the 24, so thank you for educating me!

Reactions: Phil Tipping
That is a heck of a lot of punch-ins!

• Haha
Reactions: shredd
That is a heck of a lot of punch-ins!
I gotta agree.
I'm the KING of punch-in's/editing - I've had trax 4 minutes long that took dozens (and even hundreds a few times) of them to finish the track, leaving me with dozens of "z" file segments making up the track...
When I'm happy with it, I always finish up with a (DeleteUnused} to get rid of all the junque takes/bits, and to clear the storage space, as well as give the DP less to "keep track of" and minimize the risk of brain-fart (file error).
And thank the maker (and you geen-yusses here at the forum) for the "track-consolidation" procedure, which streamlines them all into a single file.

But the biggest I EVER had a song file grow was about 700MB...

Last edited:

New threads

Members online