DP32 Track Sheet

Findlay

Veteran
Gear owned
244 DP32
It probably sounds pretty old fashioned but I'm finding track sheets very helpful when using my DP-32sd. Thought I'd post this template in case anyone likes to use them - easy to modify for a DP-24.

Attachments

• Track Sheet.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 180
Reactions: Findlay
Didn't realise you'd already posted some mjk! I'm still finding my way around the forum and should have looked. Glad you like using them too.

Reactions: -mjk-
The more the merrier! I didn't put any studio/producer/engineer fields on mine though, because it's just me in my own studio, lol.

I have a file just for the track and edit sheets, and a horizontal clipboard that lives next to my desk, with the current song clip to it. I made my cells as big as possible, because I put a lot of notes on that track sheet including things like what patch or preset I use on an instrument, FX, etc.

Here's a little tip for searching; it's not obvious: there is a "site results" tab. That returns results from the forum only and filters out the Google results.

Reactions: Findlay
Good idea for the large cells - very useful to mark the fader levels too of course when mixing.

Thanks for the search heads up. I want to see if anyone has any tips about labelling the SD cards too- unless you have? I have lots of micro and full size cards and wonder if it is ok to put some of those little sticky labels on them.

@Findlay labeling SD cards with actual sticky labels is risky. The adhesive may come loose and the label may become stuck in the reader - that would be a disaster and an immediate end to your work day. A far safer method is to write on the card with an indelible marker. A paint pen and has the advantage of being available in a wide range of colors. In my experience, the paint doesn't rub off, but, there is always that possibility. A Sharpie works but with those darn black labels, it's hard to see!

I'd like to suggest a way to keep organised with lots of cards. Get one of those SD card storage boxes, and label that. Use the card's serial number on a reference sheet that gives a complete description of the card, by serial number. No risk to the card, and most likely you have such a reference file already, so using the stock number proposes to risk to the card or the machine (that is, if you can read it without a microscope!).

Regarding track sheets, all of my song projects have multiple sheets. I religiously do pre-production takes, and having 4 different versions/tempos, is not unusual. Sometimes I keep those projects, other times I clean out the tracks and Delete Unused, but I always keep the track sheets. Anything I need to know about how I got a sound and the method, is written on the track sheet. I make addendums to the date like "-Redo" etc.. Some engineers use "Take Sheets" but since this is not a continuous reel of tape, each Song is actually a single take. But I will use another piece of paper if needed. I may create a document to handle virtual tracks at some point though. It may sound ridiculous to some, when the computer is right there, but I enjoy using a high quality writing instrument on my track sheets like I did throughout my career in the 80s and 90s.

If you've ever wondered how Roy Thomas Baker got that incredible Queen vocal sound on Bohemian Rhapsody, all we have to do is look in the upper right hand corner of the track sheet, and we find this EQ settings for the submix (see attached). Honestly, it would be impossible to plan and execute a professional recording without detailed documentation, yet people try to do it every day and then wonder why their record doesn't meet their expectations. So I'd like to leave you with this hard-earned Proverb....

Fail To Prepare: Prepare To Fail.

Everyone should be required to watch this video, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-28-09-32-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-03-28-09-32-03.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Thanks for all these very valuable tips mjk. I write on my track sheets with a prized ink pen!

Yeah!

I write abbreviated notations on the plastic case with a fine point sharpie for my SD cards. Of course I will eventually run out of space but I also attach a sticky note or some such to the case and keep adding info that way.

Reactions: -mjk- and Findlay
Capture.JPG
My track sheets are all digital. I started out using a rudimentary database program for my IBM PC that I wrote in Basic, then switched over to Excel when I got tired of modifying my program.
This is the current iteration. It's both a planning tool and record of the production as it progresses to final master.

Last edited:
Mark, you've managed to combine information that normally would be spread across several documents, into a single document, and yet perfectly readable and understandable. Well done!

Reactions: Mark Richards
Love the Bohemian Rhapsody recording-specific segment above.

Some of you may have seen this - but this one is great as well... with Brian sitting at the board commenting anecdotally on the recording of this same track.

"A Night at the Opera" was my first 33 LP.... and as a 10 year old.... it just blew my hair back. It changed me.

I am in total and complete awe of what these guys were able to do with tape back in the day. It just oozes hard work, drive, and creativity on an unbelievable scale. They were simply brilliant.

(I've only watched this 3/3 segment - haven't seen the other two parts yet)

All the more so when you contemplate the fact that the first 2 albums were 16 track.

David, I have that segment on DVD.

Reactions: David Porter
I guess you guys have got hold of the multitrack masters of BR..... I wish more were available - I'd love to have a go at remixing my favourite tracks

Findlay, I don't. But, I do have a Red Special, and a Brian May Special amp. Does that count?

Reactions: David Porter
Just goes to show how incredible the original is. They had a hard time figuring out how to record it, lol. "Roy Thomas Baker"

I've just looked the tracks for BR again - 13 out of the 24 for vocals! I had hoped to load it onto the DP-32 for mixing but it might be difficult!

I just purchased a TASCAM DP-24SD. How do I connect an effects processor to it? I see the two connections for "SEND" but where to I connect the "RETURN" inputs from the effects processor? I don't see any inputs allocated to it. Thanks !!!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.