Drum ideas for DP-24

Yes. Since I put my songs on CD from my Tascam 488 MKII they are mp3. So I use Audacity to convert to wav files. Audacity will show you the rate at the bottom left. You can also change it there as well. I created a folder called MP3 converts and one called Waves on my desktop so I can find them easily. Once I connect the DP to my PC I just copy from the wave folder directly to the Audio Depot folder. One thing I did discover is that you have to match the bit rate of the song or the DP 24 will say it cannot import. I right click on the song and go to properties and then the details tab. That will show you the bit rate. Some of my songs are 24 and some 16. If you try and import a 16 bit as a 24 or 32 it will not see it. I let Windows save the wave file. In the drop down you can choose 16, 24 0r 32 bitrate.wav

Hey, and thanks for the quick response. I'm a newbie also. I've been at it since October, and I have come far. I am trying to use both the DP24sd and Sonar DAW on my PC.
After losing a couple projects on my PC, one my fault, and one the computers fault, I've developed a little fear of flying so to speak. So, and please don't hesitate to tell me anything, but in my DAW you save as "name of song" in it's project folder. Its here that I kinda freeze up.
From here I simply copy that project into DP24's audio depot file, and then import it back into it, yes? Once it's USB connected of course, and I've adjusted for the wave properties.
Thanks in advance,

Bravohorn, USA

well I don't use DAW software. I have always been more old school hands on. And as my day job is in IT the less time on a pc the better . Although i do use ez drummer but that's fun not work. I had been using the tascam 488 mkII for the last 20 yrs. But the 4 inputs and 8tracks were a bit limiting. Plus you cant get cassettes anymore. So I went to the DP 24. So much easier to bounce tracks. So I just burned all of the songs I did on that to cd then ripped vds to mp3 on my pc. From there use audacity to convert to wave then copy to audio depot folder. I just keep songs original title as dp truncates name anyway. You can always name song on the dp too.

Reactions: -mjk-
Hi, and thanks again. Yeah I've been on the other side of the microphone for about 48 years, and always was curious about the production side. I added Audacity to my laptop few days ago, but haven't had a chance to review. Rediscovering my love of music, guitar and such was, and is the most fulfilling, and rewarding aspect of my geriatric experience. I never was very good at drums, can play bass moderately well, but now I can rock on both. The VST's available today are pretty darn sweet. DAWS are great for some aspects of production, but I've lost a few projects tinkering with my computer. I record on my hardware, and mix/master with my DAW, and now, thanks to your info, I will immediately import back. I just got a CD burner too. Between having everything on an SD card, and a burner brings me peace. So, I thank you for your input and wish you the very best sir. I may touch base with you for tips every now and then if you don't mind. It sounds like you're way ahead of the curve. More so than me anyway.

mjk....I would also like to record all my base tracks and overdubs to a simplified drum loop, and then do the drum tracks last. How do I synch the drums to the DP-32SD with no midi capability? (assume for this I'm using EZD hosted by Reaper). Thx.

well bravo my strat just turned 47 so I have also been at this fir sometime. I started recording on an old akai 2 track real to real. Then to a 4 track tascam then to the 8track tascam. The dp is really a pretty amazing machine. It can do pretty much everything you need. Feel free to ask me anything. Always happy to help a fellow musician.

well I don't use DAW software. I have always been more old school hands on. And as my day job is in IT the less time on a pc the better . Although i do use ez drummer but that's fun not work. I had been using the tascam 488 mkII for the last 20 yrs. But the 4 inputs and 8tracks were a bit limiting. Plus you cant get cassettes anymore. So I went to the DP 24. So much easier to bounce tracks. So I just burned all of the songs I did on that to cd then ripped vds to mp3 on my pc. From there use audacity to convert to wave then copy to audio depot folder. I just keep songs original title as dp truncates name anyway. You can always name song on the dp too.

If you have an actual DP-24 with the CD burner, you can export the CD tracks right in the DP. Then you can immediately import them into a song, or copy to PC.

mjk....I would also like to record all my base tracks and overdubs to a simplified drum loop, and then do the drum tracks last. How do I synch the drums to the DP-32SD with no midi capability? (assume for this I'm using EZD hosted by Reaper). Thx.

Hi Jim, Phil Tipping did a YouTube video showing the process. It's old-school syncing with a data track basically. Check out his DP series playlist and you'll find it.

If you're using Reaper, you could do the drums tracks in Reaper and skip syncing to the DP.

mjk...no I have the newer model without cd built in. But have already ripped cds down so just use audacity to convert. Takes about a minute per song.

Ahhh, ok. That's the best way to do it.

well bravo my strat just turned 47 so I have also been at this fir sometime.

I'm with you Jim. A couple of years ago I had a 50th birthday party for my Tele which I bought brand new off the wall of a local music store which is no longer in business. While I was mostly a session player, my early years were on a 4 track Scully.

Just another old retired geezer trying to keep up with technology.

Hey HillTops..yes, my first electric was a tele. Traded that in for my Strat. I preferred the different tones I could get out of the start vs the tele. I remember my mother thought I was crazy paying $400.00 for a guitar. She swore I would never stick with it. Every 5 years or so I would say to her " hey Mom I'm still playing" lol. Now the American Strats are a few K. Nice investment but I will take that to the grave with me. :)

Thanks mjk. I missed that particular video. I like how Phil says, after 18 minutes of instruction, "But they don't make these boxes anymore". Haha...good one Phil :}

But please explain your last line...if I'm using Reaper I could skip syncing the tracks to the DP??? At the end of the day, I still have to sync my drums to all the DP base/overdub tracks...? Maybe I'm thick...

I'm with you Jim. A couple of years ago I had a 50th birthday party for my Tele which I bought brand new off the wall of a local music store which is no longer in business. While I was mostly a session player, my early years were on a 4 track Scully.

Just another old retired geezer trying to keep up with technology.

Love it! I have a 1964 Epiphone Olympic that plays and sounds like a dream. I also worked in the studio that had many 1/4" 2 track Scully mixdown machines, but they also had a Scully 8 track with the 12 track head stack! If you look at the remastered version of Boston's first album, there's a picture of Tom Scholz with one of those in his personal studio. Btw, that 12 track was connected to a 16 channel Sony MCI in-line console and we had Urei monitors. Best of old and new (at the time!).

@JImM no, you're not thick at all! In this game, there's usually at least five ways to do any one thing so, no one knows them all.

If you cannot find a MIDI box, the DAW can output SMPTE timecode probably. You could stripe a track with this timecode and the DAW can chase that, much like we used to do with console automation in the old days on analog tape. With the DAW synchronized to the DP machine, you could use the DAW's MIDI clock to control your drum machine. This is theoretically possible, and probably a nightmare to implement.

At the end of the day, all you want is your drum tracks to line up with the previous tracks you recorded. It doesn't matter how you accomplish this, and it's not important to "engineer" a solution.

Here is what I would do: I would take the drum track MIDI file and import that to Reaper. Then I would use Reaper and create audio drum tracks from the MIDI data. I would import enough tracks from the DP machine into Reaper to be able to line up the drum tracks properly so they have the same starting point. Then I would export the drum tracks, and import them into the DP machine where they should line up perfectly with the other tracks.

The biggest obstacle you're going to have to face, is the tempo. Hopefully you used the Metronome function and played to a click track and you know the BPM.

Reactions: Mark Richards
After procrastinating for a year of so, I decided on giving the DP-24/Beat Buddy combo a try.

The BB lives up to its reputation. Easy to figure out and use; has beats that sound like real and natural drumming, and offers a lot of flexibility and beat/drum kit choices. This is going to be a lot of fun going forward.

My DP-24 is set as the Master (DP-24 MIDI Out to BB MIDI In.) The BB was up and running right out of the box. It synced right up with my DP-24 using the BB's default MIDI settings. I've posted the DP-24 settings in this forum's Equipment Tips Sticky for those who might be interested.

The DP-24 must re-wound to Bar 1/Beat 1 every time or the BB won't start when the DP-24 Play button is pressed. This is important for building multiple drum sounds, e.g. to overdub a hand percussion beat with a Brazilian Bossa Nova beat.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried or know if EZ Drummer 2 can be used on a touch screen?

New threads

Members online

No members online now.