Dumb FTP question!

it says:
Packets: Sent = 4 Received = 4 Lost = 0

This tells you your connection is just fine. No problem with cable or PC or SX hardware. No it's all about SX and PC software configuration. I hope somebody can help you there.

arp/a:
Interface: 169.254.142.37
Internet Address Physical Address
169.254.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16
both say: Type-Static
the IP address is different from the last time I typed: ipconfig
does this mean anything to anyone?

Interface: 169.254.142.37
OK. I think this is the problem. Your PC's address is not anymore 192.168.1.2. It must have changed after you have disconnected it from your modem. This is normal, when you let Windows obtain the IP address automatically.

Solution1: Change SX's address to 169.254.142.38
Solution2: Change your PC's IP address manually back to 192.168.1.2

the IP Address s different when the PC is offline...it's 169.254.142.37 and when online, it's 192.168.1.2...I used the 169.254.142.38 for the SX IP, as you said and still no good...
FTP should be simple...why is EVERYTHING I do on the SX so difficult??
I AM TOTALLY FRUSTRATED!!!!

Have you tried any other FTP clients than FileZilla?

I suggest you to give following commands (in order) in your command prompt and look at the results:

make sure your PC's IP address defaults to 169.254.142.37
ipconfig /renew
test connection to SX1
ping 169.254.142.38
if ping is OK, then try FTP
ftp 169.254.142.38
if ping didn't work, check if PC sees SX1 at all in the network
arp /a

when I do the ipconfig, there's no Gateway add...
I'm also getting 4 "timed out" messages when I ping the SX...
I tried my other PC and the same thing...

when I do the ipconfig, there's no Gateway add...
When having point-to-point connection (x-over cable between PC and SX), you don't need gateway. Gateway is a device connecting you with outside world (usually your modem, in larger enterprise networks it's a bit more complex gadget called "router").
I'm also getting 4 "timed out" messages when I ping the SX...
I tried my other PC and the same thing...
Did you try "arp /a" then, as I suggested in case of ping failing? Just asking this, because I don't know if SX1 is designed to respond to ping, but if ping fails, SX1 should anyway be listed on arp table if your PC has discovered it's existence.

Results of this troubleshooting is getting conflicting, because you already reported in post #21 getting positive response from ping. Are you absolutely sure IP number of your PC was 169.254.142.37 and your SX1 was 169.254.142.38 when you run this last ping?

I guess I was confused...and I am sure that I entered the correct IPs on the SX and the PC...I'm not sure what you mean by the "arp table"...is it supposed to show the SX or the IP address? anyway, I tried Cute, Smart and Commander ftp programs and none of them work either...I also tried to ftp with my other PC and had the same results...what are the EXACT steps from the time I remove the Ethernet cable to my PC and replace it with the crossover cable going to the SX? maybe I'm doing it in the wrong order? the old forum has a lot of users who were also having problems but eventually made it work...
I followed all the directions you gave me and I read the Release Notes and all the ftp posts from the old forum, so there has to be something I'm either not doing or the Ethernet card in the SX isn't functioning...

I would have thought it was the PC I use in the studio, but both of my PCs don't work with the SX...has anyone ever changed the Ethernet card on the SX...I have a spare one from my "dead SX" but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to keep taking parts from it...pretty soon it will just be a shell...
the problem I'm facing is that I have over 300 tracks recorded for the CD I'm working on and haven't been able to back up anything...I tried backing up one project to CD and it used 3 CDs and took several hours...I'm not even sure that the CDs have all my files on them...ftp or transferring to an external HD is the only realistic way to back up, but the LE Plus doesn't have the SCSI drive...it would be devastating if I lost everything at this point...so I'm not trying to be a pain here, I just have the urgent need to make this work...
I really appreciate all the help...I just can't understand what I'm doing wrong or if something is wrong with the SX...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's only one other thing I can think of. On my system the computer has to be turned on before the SX. Try setting your computer's address, connect the cable to the SX and then turn it on.

If that doesn't work, my studio is 4 1/2 hours away from you. If you feel like taking a long drive, I'd be glad to look at it.

that's a very generous offer md, but I really can't take the SX out of the studio right now...I'll try what you said and if that doesn't work, I'll swap the Ethernet card with the other SX...
btw, does anyone know if the LE Plus version is compatible with the SCSI card or is that also not a workable solution?
I guess as a last resort, I'll have to burn everything to disk :(...
and that's another whole issue that I need to ask about, but not now...I have to get my tracks backed up before I do anything else...

I swapped the Ethernet card from the dead SX and ftp worked immediately! that's the good news...here's the very BAD news:
when I went back to work on my projects in the SX, I get an blinking Error Message that some of the files are no longer there!!! like ALL my piano tracks are cut into pieces and I can't reload them!!!
what is supposed to happen after you close the ftp??? this is terrible!!!
and I had one project named "Piano Tracks" and it's completely gone from the SX and from my PC!!! I can see the title is still in the Projects folder on the SX, but when I try to open it, I get the Error Message again!!and it's not saved to my PC...
WHAT'S HAPPENING???
how do I transfer the files back to the SX???

I'm glad you got it working! What commands did you use to transfer the files? Did you download your project directories to the computer? It sounds like the files may have been moved instead of copied. Check the settings in your ftp program. The files shouldn't be altered by ftp unless it is set to do so.

If you want to use the tracks on another DAW they should be rendered before exporting. That way each track will be in one file.

You can upload to the SX just like downloading. There is an option on the SX to allow ftp to access just the import folder or to access everything.

the screen is saying "Warning: MissingSoundFiles: TLProject /AATemplate etc"
I don't have a project named AATemplate although it came over to my PC when I ftp'ed everything...
the tracks were copied not moved because the program kept saying "Copying"...
I didn't know I should render them files first, but they still should have stayed the same in the SX after ftp...how do I get the files back over to the SX, I'm not sure I follow what you're saying...and if I work on a track in my PC, how do I transfer it to the SX?

To transfer them back, select project and import directories before starting ftp and upload. To add a track you've edited or created on your PC, upload it to the import directory and use the clip browser in an SX project to import it.

OK...what I had done was inadvertently deleted a couple of files while the ftp program was still running...luckily they were still in my Recycle Bin this morning and I was able to save them!!!
I can't believe that the whole ftp problem was a faulty Ethernet card and I wasted mine and everyone else's time trying to figure it out...
anyway, now I can finally transfer files to my PC, work on them there and transfer back to the SX with no problems AND have everything safely backed up...it's GREAT!!!
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!
QUESTION:
how do I name a Clip? after I render a Take, all I see in the Clip Browser is "Render_1, Render_2, and so on...I don't see an area where you can name/rename them...I searched the old forum and some of the members were saying that you could name the clip when rendering, but didn't say how to do it...

Last edited:
There's a field in the render area for the file name . Click it and enter the name you want. I can't remember exactly where it is but you'll see the word Render.

thanks...I was looking right at it and didn't realize you could type in that box...

New threads

Members online