Effects loop with Computer

Matt B

Veteran
Gear owned
dp24sd
So I replaced my old recorder with a DP24SD. I already have a laptop (fairly recent vintage) with Reaper installed.

Can I use the computer, Reaper, and the effects therein as an effects processor?

I figure use the external effects send and the outputs on the DP24SD to a digital box thingy, to USP, set Reaper to the desired effect on a track. Then back out the USB and into a channel on the DP24SD.

I have almost no experience with computer-based recording...

Will this work. I have heard latency can be a problem, but I would imagine it to not be an issue with one effect and an otherwise idle computer.

Goals are tunable pitch change, mic emulations, some more musical compressors, etc.

Is a box like this what I need? What else would be required? Something better for the price?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KW2YEI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Matt B

I spoke with a retailer about this, and they opined that I would have latency problems.

I wonder if that is true, given that I would be using few effects at a time and not recording with the computer, just processing.

Their suggestion was a Lexicon effects processor. A valid option, but also $300 vs. $30, and I am a rational cheapskate!

Matt B

New threads

Members online

No members online now.