Enjoying the DP-32

Music By Mikey

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32
Hey folks-

I've recently purchased the DP-32 console. So, I'm knee deep in studying the process of learning all the bells and whistles. Phil Tipping's videos have been a big help with this. Thank you Phil!

Last time I recorded anything it was on my Tascam 424, in like...1989 or so. Currently trying to get my head around mastering, once you have tracks you like completed. I haven't searched the site much because I figured, well, I've got to post something to say 'hello' with. I like the mix that I'm getting, but, the overall volume after mastering tracks is a lot lower than typical cd quality, so I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

And also, when I play the song through headphones, in the car, or my studio speakers, it sounds ok, but, through my home stereo it sounds...not so good. Like a completely different mix; bass drum WAY out front, and just not a good mix, in general.

I'll try to upload the tune, here. Any push in the right direction with my volume problem, or anything good, bad, or indifferent you have to say in general, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O1dkaqAdhzbxEwRsXV98b2zvWN0vXOWv/view

Still quiet time here, so I can't listen to your track.

I have been shocked how different a mix can sound through different sources. Sounds great through my monitors, sounds great through the headphones. I play it in the car, and the guitars are gone! Or the vocal sounds naked. Or the tambourine is drilling into my skull. Or etc.

Then there is the behavior of the low end, and all of the weirdness there.

Despite the advice of those better than me, I never anticipated how different a mix can sound through different sources, and how unexpected the changes can be.

I claim no gift or special talents, but this process has pleased my ears.

I do a trial mix with mastering. I listen to it through my studio monitors (mid grade), my headphones (pretty good), my computer (typical crappy stuff), maybe my TV sound bar, and my Tundra truck (good image, slightly bass-heavy). I make notes as I go for each song, noting changes to what goes where, bass level, annoying frequencies, relative levels of tracks, overall level compared to a commercial CD, etc. Note: Many commercial stereo systems are far from linear response - they hype some frequencies to sound "good" and not accurate. If you adjust your mix to sound pleasing through accurate monitors or studio headphones, you may be duplicating what the system does, doubling the effect to where it sounds bad.

Remix and repeat. It seems to take at least three cycles to get it where I want it.

For mastering, I export to my computer and use Isotope Ozone Elements. It is an amazing program, and has made my life much easier. I have great respect for the default settings. Unless I find a last-minute problem, I typically turn it on, set the input level to avoid clipping, slightly increase the high frequencies, slightly decrease the compression, and go with it. Ending levels are not commercial CD, but they are where they don't sound "wrong" when interspersed with commercial tracks.

Do note that the default settings of Ozone compress a lot. I go very light on the compression during recording and mixing, in anticipation of mastering.

I hope this helps!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.