External effects ?

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hey everyone,
I have a Helicon VoiceTone R1 with only XLR in and out inputs. Its a vocal reverb processor, but doesn't have 1/4" inputs to connect with effect sends on DP24SD back panel. Im just curious. Will it still function with just the XLR connections alone? I searched available videos, and couldn't find anything relative. Thanxabunch in advance....

Bravo, using the TC-Helicon is not specific to the Tascam or any other machine. Of course it will work. The 1/4" send jacks are unbalanced, so you'll have to take that into consideration when using a 1/4" plug-to-XLR cable, but my TC-Helicon device works perfectly. Bring the returns back to inputs of the DP and route them as needed.

Hi, and thanks for responding. No I did not see it, but I ran XLR cables directly to dp from r1, and I'm good to go.

Bravo, those Tascam XLRs are expecting a microphone, so be extremely careful with your levels. If I were you I'd use the TRS inputs, because one accidental press of the Phantom Power button and it's probably all over.

send jacks...be extremely careful with your levels

Might someone who wasn't very careful or not paying attention inadvertently send (no pun intended) a 2 Volt overload into a circuit designed to handle a maximum signal of 1 Volt?

DP-xx Send Out:
rated output -10dBV = -7.78 dBu = 0.316V
Maximum + 6dBV = +8.21 dBu =2.0V
Impedance 200Ohm

Tc-Helicon Input:
Mic @0dBFS -42dBu to +4dBu = 1.9dBV = 1.2V
Impedance 3.0kOhm Balanced
1.5kOhm Unbalanced

I suggest using one of these (in reverse mode: 1/4 for DP Send and an XLR cable into the Tc-Helicon) to connect the DP Send to the Tc_Helicon input:
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-A85F-T...TF8&qid=1545264650&sr=1-1&keywords=Shure+A85F

Last edited:
Hey again. I really appreciate your pointing out potential hazards of being careless. I was my usual impatient self, and proceeded to set the Helicon up, albeit very carefully. I used a shure dynamic microphone initially, and it worked great. I then shut down, and transferred to a condenser microphone with phantom power on, and to my surprise its functioning perfectly. I read in the dp manual that using a pedal with a guitar was possible, so kept going forward. I know the dp has dynamics, and effects available, and will use the system provided, but I could not - not do this. Thanks again. Since you, and others we're willing to interact with new guys on the forum my recording have improved.h

Might someone who wasn't very careful or not paying attention inadvertently send (no pun intended) a 2 Volt overload into a circuit designed to handle a maximum signal of 1 Volt?

DP-xx Send Out:
rated output -10dBV = -7.78 dBu = 0.316V
Maximum + 6dBV = +8.21 dBu =2.0V
Impedance 200Ohm

Tc-Helicon Input:
Mic @0dBFS -42dBu to +4dBu = 1.9dBV = 1.2V
Impedance 3.0kOhm Balanced
1.5kOhm Unbalanced

I suggest using one of these (in reverse mode: 1/4 for DP Send and an XLR cable into the Tc-Helicon) to connect the DP Send to the Tc_Helicon input:
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-A85F-Transformer-Female-4-Inch/dp/B0006NMUHW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1545264650&sr=1-1&keywords=Shure A85F

Excellent question Mark. After I read that the Voicelive Touch could be used in the studio too, I wrote to TC-Helicon for clarification, since it only has an XLR input connector and is expecting a mic. They said to use the XLR and turn the gain knob fully CCW and it would be ok. I took the additional step of turning the mic boost to OFF. It actually works very well - better than I expected. It also has TRS outputs.

New threads

Members online