First song fully recorded on the Tascam DP-32SD

Stephen Jones

Gear owned
Tascam DP-32SD
After recording (the post-apocalyptic song) Wooden Ships, which was originally started on my computer and finished on the Tascam, it inspired me to do a kind of "prequel" to the song, i.e. an "Apocalyptic" song. The idea was to create a powerful background instrumental track, with sort of a threatening feel and then put biblical narration on top of that, which I chose from the book of Jeremiah. It was originally going to be a single song entitled "The Dark Prophet."

I tied it into the previous recording of Wooden Ships, which ends with the sounds of seagulls and waves lapping the side of the boat. With The Dark Prophet, it starts with similar sounds of waves and seagulls but then turns into a major thunderstorm with crashing waves, setting the mood.

I had 32 tracks to work with, along with a keyboard I had not used much before and a large amount of guitar/vocal effects on an outboard unit, so I kept getting ideas of new instrument sounds and tracks. I kind of went to town on it. Besides the normal guitar, bass, drums and vocals I added trumpet, sax, synth and chorus (Keyboard) sounds.

When I finished the instrumental improvisation I liked it so much by itself that I decided to leave it alone without any added narration. I then took the the recording, removed (via muting) all tracks but the bass, drums and rhythm tracks and added the biblical narration, calling it simply "Jeremiah."

To end the "Suite" I took an old improvisational instrumental I created using my Ric 360/12 back in the 1990s, edited it a bit and added more narration, concluding it with words from the gospels, ending on a positive note.

Here is the finished result of "Dark Prophet" : https://soundcloud.com/user-842688611/dark-prophet

The instruments are similar to what I used in the previous recording:

- Rickenbacker 360/12 with JangleBox as well as Vox Wah-Wah on one track
- Guild D-50 acoustic guitar
- Cassio LK-210 keyboard (Trumpet, Sax, sawtooth Synth, Feedback Bass, Cello and Vocalization tones)
- Yamaha RX-5 Digital Rhythm Programmer
- MXL condensor mic
- ATR 30 dynamic mic

New threads

Members online