Flying fader demo for DM-4800?

rungabic

Gear owned
DM-4800
Do any of you guys have a dancing fader automation demo file that you'd be willing to share (preferably for Cubase, or else something "generic")? Even better would be one that also demos the rotary ring LEDs and other button lights.

The built-in diagnostic tests are certainly functional, but don't have much of a wow factor...

@rungabic I did stumble upon a dancing fader presentation on YT a while back. If you locate it you may want to reach out to the videos creator. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Yes -- I know exactly the one you're talking about. I'll try that...just figured this audience would be easier to deal with and probably had something floating around. Thanks!

If you find him/her please report back here. :)

I got in touch with him, and he's looking for the file. If he finds it, I'll ask him if it's OK to distribute here. He said it's a Logic X project, and since I'm on PC, I'd have to ask someone to convert it to MIDI or SMF or something anyway...assuming all the automation would carry over intact (?).

I use Logic and am willing to give it a try. But I doubt any automation will be saved into export files. But maybe someone else knows more?

I'll keep you updated. If he finds it and lets me share it, then I'll post it here. Would really be disappointing if I couldn't use it after all that!

Gary, at Qualified Sound Ltd in New Zealand, was nice enough to send me the Logic X project, which you can download here. He said I could feel free to distribute it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nvVoVRmRoQand9NYnp82-xfQD0-Drawa/view?usp=sharing

Now, I'd be most appreciative if one of you guys might be able to export it into some generic format that can be imported into another DAW...extra points if you can convert it to a Cubase project.

I just hope it can be done!

Reactions: Peter Batah
Any of you guys with Logic willing to try out this demo project and possibly export a file that the rest of us (hopefully) can import into another DAW?

Hey @rungabic, I will download and try this tomorrow, as promised. :)

EDIT: I just realised I have a copy of Logic here on my MacBook. Have to say it looks very interesting. As for export, there's not much choice. I could export audio/midi, but that would not save automation with it. That leaves AAF, which should work fine in MOST DAWs, but as far as I can find on the internet, NOT for Cubase... Do you have any other DAW, rungabic?

Even if you do, it's not very straightforward. All the tracks are empty audiotracks, just automation. I would have to put (silent) audio in every single track for Logic to be able to export to AAF.

Last edited:
Hi there -- well, I'm totally new to DAWs, having worked all outside the box until now...so frankly, any DAW that would work and has a fully functioning demo version available would be ok.

I hope it's possible, and doesn't require a tremendous amount of work. I tried researching whether it was even possible to export/import automation, and I couldn't find a clear answer. It was apparent that you could "burn in" the automation while exporting, but of course that's not the idea...hopefully it's possible to export the actual automation data, and then import it to something, without getting lost or then requiring a ton of work on the import end as well...

In that case I will put silent audio on all tracks and export as AAF. This will certainly work in Pro Tools, although the 'light' version is limited to 16 tracks I believe.
In fact you could try any of the major DAWs, but not Ableton Live, since this has a different principle of working (which is not in tracks on a timeline).

Reactions: Peter Batah
Okay, here is an AAF file exported from Logic.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QHrKpcAN5OkfjyTg1DCwwllafVpc0AsG/view?usp=sharing

First thing I noticed when importing this back into a fresh Logic project: only one layer of automation is imported (and probably only one layer was saved to begin with). The original file has - apart from volume automation - also pan, solo and mute automation, for the nice blinking lights. The AAF holds only volume automation, but that is of course the most important for dancing faders.

Second: tempo information is also not saved. Reimporting, Logic asks to import tempo information, click yes and only one tempo is used (in this case the highest tempo, which is 700 bpm).

Third: after importing, the volume automation is visible in Logic, but refuses to play. No idea why, have to dive deeper into this, perhaps a standard setting in new projects/imports to check.

Maybe others have more luck with other DAWs. Good luck! :)

Sounds reasonable. So are you saying that your version can only see the first 16 tracks? If so, then I guess I'd need someone with the full version to export the project, ultimately...but your attempt would serve as a good test that it can be done at all!

Just got your other message...yeah -- I had a feeling this export/import would be full of hassles like this. I appreciate your help...I'll check it out when I can. Maybe this will just force me to make my own demo...possibly it's not quite as difficult as I'm imagining...

As for Pro Tools:
http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/comparison

The 'First' version is free.

I guess you could get by with 16 audio tracks PLUS 8 midi tracks, if I read this correctly, but this would mean rebuilding the original file to contain 8 midi tracks in stead of 8 audio tracks, since this has 24 audio tracks.

EDIT: if you scroll down you can see that First has no OMF/AAF support.

How difficult it is to make it yourself, I don't know, but take a look at the automation I can see in the file below. The top 3 are for the first track. The other tracks LOOK the same (or inverted in some places) but are slightly offset. It's doable, but I reckon it will take a fair amount of time. But it's a nice challenge.

Attachments

• automation.jpg
    automation.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 24

New threads

Members online