Formatting SD Card Problem

Thomas Cooley

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24SD
I cannot format my new 64 GB Scanndisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 Card. In full format the screen says "formatting" but stays that way forever and does not finish. On the quick format it instantly says done, but when I try to create a song it says "card full." I'm thinking that the card is bad. Any thoughts?

I would try another SD card first. I have run across very similar problems on both the DP-24 and the DP-32 and the ultimate cause turned out to be a failed main board. Since you are able to boot and then attempt recording a song, it just might be a bad SD card. If it is the main board, replacement is not too hard if you are comfortable working on electronics. The board is rather expensive at around $150 from Full Compass last I checked. Search for Tascam E95439310A if you find you have a bad main board.

Sounds like an incompatible or bad SD card if your OEM one works. Easy (cheap) fix :)! Does the "new" SD card work in another device?

Eric, are you saying that 64 GB cards don't work for some reason?

Correct. The Tascam DP /SD Recorders are designed for memory cards of max 32 GB. More than 32 GB becomes erratic at best and is not recommended.

THANK YOU for the info. I'll go buy a 32 today. It would have been nice if they had included that info in the manual!

Reactions: Eric Guicherit
The manual seems to specify that only "SD" and "SDHC" cards can be used. Not the higher capacity SDXC cards. I'm not certain of anything except that's what the DP manual states.

Wiki:

SDXC cards utilize the exFAT file system, the use of which is governed by a proprietary license, thereby limiting its legal availability to a small set of operating systems. Therefore, exFAT-formatted SDXC cards are not a universally readable exchange medium.

Last edited:
To avoid needless expense and trial and error, it is best to stick with TASCAM recommended cards or those other users have successfully used. I don't know why TASCAM had to design the DP series recorders to be so picky in this area but unfortunately they are just that. I don't think I have heard anyone having success with greater that 32Gb SD Cards though it would be nice to find one that works (reliability).

Reactions: Thomas Cooley
DP-24 manual page 8: supports up to 32gb

New threads

Members online

No members online now.