Gibson buys a manufacture line from Philips...

Muziekschuur

Soundaholic
Gear owned
Tascam DM24
Since Gibson bought Tascam I'm following what's up.

Well-known guitar brand Gibson has bought Philips' audio and video department, even though its products will still be called Philips for now.

License agreement
Gibson paid 135 million dollars (100 million euro) for the Philips division, with a seven-year license agreement on top to keep using the Philips name for every product Gibson produces and sells. The amount it represents can grow depends on the amount of sales.

Because of license agreements with other parties, the video department (mainly Blu-Ray and dvd) will only be transferred in 2017 and the entire sale should be finalized in the second part of 2014.

We still don't know what's up. But Gibson has bought a lot of companies in the last two years. Something is up. And I'm quite sure we will soon know what's up!!

There will be Blu-rays and DVDs in 2017? :confused:

Interesting news.

I have no idea how this pans out. But Sony Oxford was sold to Klark Teknik which was bought by Behringer. Sony Oxford held the patent on AES50. Wich is a networked audio protocol. Wich does 44.1 upto DSD.

No other audio manufacturer does have an networked audio protocol (besides Philips) wich does DSD over ethernet..... So I am making an educated guess here.

Behringer still is missing some chips to make that DSD technology or even 96K over their ethernet connections a reality......

Tascam is a company wich made the 8 track machine wich recorded the Eagles in DSD in the '90's.
So if everything is in place in therms of engineering talent, needed patents and the needed manufacturing plants I think 2015 will be an awesome year.....

I'm quite sure we will soon know what's up!!

I don't have a crystal ball, but my guess is, Gibson's getting ready to introduce the world's first self-recording interweb guitar. It'll have an LCD screen with a 'virtual DM4800' aboard, high speed modem and wireless router. You'll be able to route any of the instrument's 24 strings to individual busses, sub mix them, send the output to a recipient in Rome, Georgia, where the signal can be processed and combined into a recording of an 'A/C-D/C' concert, which will then be broadcast on interweb radio in real time.

You're right: 2015 will be an awesome year. Awesome for what, I can't say. :)

CaptDan

Failing crystal ball I'd say. Check the motherboard battery ....

I always appreciate good sarcasm. Nice one Dan!

I just noticed there is a new AES audio over IP standard called AES67 wich supersedes the AES60 standard wich was patented by Sony Oxford (and now owned by Behringer)

AES67 will be supported by all parties working together with Yamaha/Steinberg. So I am hoping Gibson/Tascam will support this new standard too..... But we'll know when a product......

In the manual of the Behringer X32 it is said that its network protocol is AES50 (SuperMac). So it does not yet support Hypermac (=AES60). So is it because they are aware of the movement towards AES67? Or are they not staffed well enough or are some communication chips not available yet?

http://www.supermac-hypermac.com/

More info about this:

Background
Back in July 2005, the Audio Engineering Society published the AES50 open standard, describing a method of using standard 100 Mbit/s Cat 5 computer cable to transmit multiple channels of digital audio.The SuperMAC technology behind AES50 had been developed by Sony Pro-Audio Lab, Oxford, and initially Sony promoted the adoption of the standard by offering to licence SuperMAC and its companion Gigabit Ethernet HyperMAC technology to other manufacturers.

By far the largest commercial application to date has been the decision by MIDAS to use this technology for the audio and control network of its XL8 Live Performance System digital console. Shortly after the successful standardisation of the format by the AES and the launch of the XL8, the decision was taken at a corporate level within Sony to put the networking part of the Sony Oxford lab up for sale, and both SuperMAC and HyperMAC were acquired by KLARK TEKNIK, who are now making the technologies available on a royalty-free basis. As well as the XL8, SuperMAC and HyperMAC interfaces have been employed on the MIDAS Pro6 Live Audio System digital console and the KLARK TEKNIK DN9696 High Resolution Audio Recorder.

SuperMAC and HyperMAC technology has been thoroughly road-proven on many high profile tours including Metallica, AC/DC, Oasis, REM, The Verve, Depeche Mode, OMD and Arctic Monkeys, and the now legendary one-off reformation of Led Zeppelin at London’s O2 Arena. Also benefiting from SuperMAC and HyperMAC audio networks are many outdoor festivals such as Glastonbury, T in the Park, Francofolies and the New York Metropolitan Opera in Central Park. Prestigious installations include Westover Church in Greensboro, North Carolina, the multi-role cultural arts centres in Suzhou and Shenzhen in China, the Malai Theatre in Moscow and the Shibuya-AX concert venue in Tokyo. Other major events include Placido Domingo at the Bird’s Nest Stadium in Beijing, several Broadway Musicals and the Nobel Peace Prize concert in Oslo.

comparison-of-supermac-hypermac.gif

SuperMAC (AES50-Compliant)

• 100 Mbit/s Ethernet over Cat 5/Cat 5e copper cable (100 metres)
  • 24 Bidirectional channels @ 96 kHz (48 Bidirectional channels @ 48 kHz)
  • Latency per link = 62.50 μs @ 96 kHz (also 48 kHz)
  • 5 Mbit/s control data channel
  • Separate twisted pairs used for audio data and clock
HyperMAC

• 1 Gbit/s Ethernet over Cat 5e/Cat 6 copper cable (100 metres) or 50/125 μm multimode optical fibre (500 metres)
  • 192 Bidirectional channels @ 96 kHz
  • Latency per link = 41.66 μs @ 96 kHz
  • 200 Mbit/s data channel
  • Clock embedded in data stream

Dan is apparently not far off. Gibson has introduced their first product "powered by Tascam:" a guitar cable with a small recording device in it, so you are always recording whatever you're playing. Now that "killer riff" (good grief, could we hire a copywriter who has actually played an instrument once in a while?) will never be lost to the dim, dark reaches of the past again.

http://www2.gibson.com/Memory-Cable.aspx

Reactions: captdan
Well, my crystal ball may need need a polishing, but it's been more or less right over the years - give or take a few key details. :)

Seems logical to me: why would 'Gtrz R Us' be interested in a company like Tascam - a corp specializing primarily in audio recording and live sound? Obviously, to develop toys for gtr-slingers who can't keep their grubby mitts off the 'RECord' button. :)

I rest my case. As it were. :)

CaptDan

Yuck.. Products like this is exactly what I thought would be churned out.

Yeah, I hafta say it's got Henry's digital fingerprints all over it. Pretty much what i expected from Gibson, too. They're buying technology companies so they can cram some cheap tech into a Les Paul.

"And with CD-quality 44.1kHz/16-bit resolution, the audio quality is ideal for transferring over to computer-based, multitrack recording programs."

Ideal Audi quality? Ideal for whom? Surely they aren't speaking to the professional or serious home recording enthusiasts.
I'm not blaming Tascam for this. Their new boss asked for this more than likely and they just did what they were told.

My bet is that the industry will forget the memory cable..

Update:

I was just reading the original thread when Gibson announced the 54% share purchase of Teac. And I quote myself from that thread:

I can see it now.... an SG that has a built in Tascam Guitar Trainer......

Only to be followed up by the deluxe model:

The "Les Portastudio"

Last edited:
I can see it now.... an SG that has a built in Tascam Guitar Trainer......

Only to be followed up by the deluxe model:

The "Les Portastudio"

Charlie, what serial number is your crystal ball? Probably was made the same week as mine. :)

CaptDan

This was an awesome thread!!! I'm just catching up!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.