Hating Tascam for killing midi in DP-24SD

Lasvideo

Gear owned
DP24 SD
Im beginning to really hate Tascam for killing midi in the new DP-24 SD i just bought. It seems lots of other folks feel the same way. What the hell were they thinking?

Hey Phil, can you go into detail about your sync tone method (i.e., how to build and use it) ? I have a BeatBuddy and trying to trigger it with my foot as I listen to the metronome just isnt cutting it.

I would rather build the entire tune in the DP 24 SD before importing it into Studio 1 for finessing.

It's unclear to me what it is specifically that your trying to accomplish.

I have an idea of what the Beat Buddy is - but have not used one and am not familiar with it.

Can you explain in more detail?

Can you simply record your drum part in to the DP in real time and then just play/record to the recorded track(s)?

Last edited:
After recording the acoustic guitar track, I want to lay down a drum track. The BB is the latest and greatest drum machine. I trigger it by stepping on its pedal as I listen to the guitar track. Of course my trigger is a little late so I have to resync it (which I just discovered I can do in the Track Edit mode).

But I have no midi sync going from the DP24SD to the Beat Buddy to insure they stay locked in sync together. Others here have suggested creating and using a sync track on the Tascam with midi pulses recorded on it. Then feeding the track (thru Effect Send 2's output) that has this sync info to the Midi Sync input of the Beat Buddy, to ensure sync throughout the piece.

Please for give my lack of understanding - one thing I have learned is that folks have different gear, goals, and workflow to attain those goals. I am assuming my own ignorance here.

It seems odd that you would record an acoustic guitar track (in free time?) and then add a drum track to that. ?

Have you gotten into the software that comes with BeatBuddy? The reason I ask is because I was just watching a video and it appears that you have the option of creating/editing your drum parts on the computer and then importing those drum parts as .wav files to the Tascam. I do this with EZDrummer 2 (I thought it was the latest and greatest drum machine :D). If there is a part at the beginning of a song where the acoustic guitar is by itself - you can simply play to a click over that part and then silence that section later with the Tascam editing features.

Anyway.... I'm just talking here... I absolutely assume that I may have misunderstood what your goal is. Sorry about that.;)

You asked in the other thread how I went about using a tone or pulse to line tracks up. I'll explain that in case it's helpful - but first let me explain what I was trying to do:

I was needing to take individual old track data from an older Roland recorder (VS840) and move those performance tracks to the Tascam DP (so that I could clean them up and work with them again). Converting those special Roland VS files to .wav and then simply importing them to the DP was not an option. So I hooked up my drum machine (in this case it was a Roland R70) to the VS840 and at the point before the song started I recorded a brief, short.... but sharp "drum hit" (I can't remember - probably a rimshot or something). I recorded this hit to all 8 tracks so that it was at exactly the same spot on all 8. I then *played* each individual track to it's own respective track on the DP and recorded those - one by one. I then went in and using the track editing tools and Jog Play function... I lined up each of the "rimshot" hits so that they were at exactly the same "clock/counter" point on the DP.

It worked perfectly.

But you can see that I went to some trouble to get this done. But it was important to me... that old song... so well worth the trouble, for me, in the big picture.

Thanks for your response.

I first lay down the guitar WITH metronome active so I am essentially locked to a guide click track. I then want to shape the various drum parts live to get a more performance feel (which Beat Buddy excels at), so that is recorded second. But since I manually trigger it, the drums are slightly out of sync.

I think I found a fix approach that will work for me. Using the Track Edit function I can mark the start and end of the DRUM waveform. Then I can see where the GUITAR waveform starts and tell the DP 24 to paste it to a clear track at that point in time. Tracks are now in sync.

I also did a test at 80 BPM to see if the Tascam and the Beat Buddy stay in sync over time. They do.

Problem solved!

Last edited:
Ah... got it. Excellent! Well, there you go. :) Glad you found a solution.

I've said it before... and it's kind of a thing.... *usually*... where there is a will there is a way.

"Work-arounds" baby!

Reactions: Lasvideo

New threads

Staff online

Members online