Headphone output DM 3200

Why not just turn down the studio monitor volume? No speakers running equals no feedback.

Secondly - are you monitoring on the DM instead of through ProTools? In other words, are you routing your input signal to a separate DM channel to alleviate latency? Or not?

CaptDan

Yes i have started just turning the monitors down and thats fine i suppose, although i thought there would be an easier more efficient way as my monitors are quite far back from the console and i have to reach quite far each time. Im monitoring on the DM and Yes i am routing my input signal to a separate DM channel, there is still latency, but i must admit it was very minimal, but reducing to almost nothing would be great, so any help on this would be great.

There should be absolutely ZERO latency if you're monitoring your overdubs on the DM - alongside previously recorded tracks. If you're hearing latency on playback (or during overdubbing) something else is going on.

As for achieving a quick disconnect of studio monitors, you might consider a mechanical/electrical option like a speaker/monitor switch box or something like the 'BigKnob.'
Or - just hit the MUTE button on the offending channel(s).

CaptDan

Which is another reason I like to work @ 96khz. :)

I would suggest that anything beneath <>.95ms is essentially inaudible. But if by chance it were, and the differential was consistent, the whole shebang could be adjusted if keeps a ship from sinking. :eek:

CaptDan

Great stuff! thanks again. last question: Can you still get 32 in and out via the firewire card/cable on the dm3200 if you are recording at 24bit / 96khz?

Yes - 24(32)/96khz is the only spec I run my projects at these days.

Caveat!!!: If anybody is reading this who's still using the MKI (first iteration) fire wire card, sorry - that one's limited to 24 CHANNELS @ 48khz maximum!

CaptDan

Oh, can anyone confirm that the 96k is also running at 24bit?? yes the '24' i was referring to is the bit rate not channels (sorry my bad) Tascam doesnt seem to specify this in its clock settings and i was curious if its keeping it at 16bit 96k or automatically changing it to 24bit 96k...

Bit depth and sample rate are two separate things....... 16/24 are BIT DEPTHS. 44.1, 48, 88.1, 96, 192, 384 are sample RATES. Digital Audio -101.

You can choose either 16 or 24 bit and any of the available sample rates in any combination. But the bigger issue is - you really should know WHY you're making the choice in the first place.
So - and not trying to be a smart ass here - a little elementary understanding goes a long way in that regard.

CaptDan

oh bit depth is only for the computer. right. haha. I see. its not done on the DM...
Thanks Cap dan, somehow i knew that but some devices you can set the bit rate on the console itself and set it from there.

Not sure I follow. That may be true with most all-in-one boxes (AW4416, Akai DP24, etc), but standalone digital consoles are another matter.

Each time a sample rate is changed on the DM, it's rebooted for each chosen type. The firewire card drives the ship, so to speak, and the DAW slaves up to the DM's S/R (sample RATE) - the speed with which each wave portion is captured into bits 'n bytes.

Bit Depth - or 'WordLength' - references the 'stack' of 0s (zeros) and 1s (ones). The difference among these is about available dynamic range and 'foot-room'. That's why it's always best to track at 24bit (or 32 with the 8 additional 0's) to avail yourself of the signal to noise benefits over 16bit. The latter, of course, is the general release spec - ie: - CD/Redbook 16/44.1 - or the smaller cousins - MP3 - ie: 16/44.1 - and the various 'Fraunhoffer' compression choices relative to KBS (kilobytes per second). The more KBS, the higher the resolution (and detail) of the file.

CaptDan

oh bit depth is only for the computer. right. haha. I see. its not done on the DM...
No, bit depth for the DM Output can be set to either 16 or 24, and a setting for dithering can be made; truncate - dither - noise shaped (this for the stereo out only). Select the DIGITAL Setup screen, bottom right corner. This is independent of your computer input or DAW using 16 or 24. 24 is indeed recommended, as CaptDan says.

Thanks for the clarification, Arjan. (I forgot about the output/dither/select option).

Another reason why posting questions publicly (as opposed to 'back channel') is far better. Keeps people like me honest. :)

CaptDan

Reactions: Arjan P

Members online