Headphone ?

Bravohorn1

Gear owned
DP 24SD
Hello,
Due to my recent experience making mistakes I've decided that I will need to use multiple headphones as an aid for recording. Can the 24sd be set up for this say with a headphone amplifier with multiple inputs? I see splitters on line, but it can't be that easy. Nothing in manual touches on this subject. Thanks

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hi,
I expect delivery of the HA400, and peripheral gear to arrive on Monday. Hard to believeard This device was only $25.00

Thanks,
Bravohorn1

Keeps it nice and simple, and yet everyone gets their own volume control. ;)

Oooooo! I mod everything! I can't wait to check these out. Thanks Phil!

Phil, extra points because those videos show a DP-32 like mine

Reactions: Phil Tipping
Hi Phil,
Are you saying in these videos that the HA400 isn't compatible with the dp24 without modifying it. I thought I read on the forum it was.

Thanks

Bravo, no, but at all. Those mods are to add some optional features. That thing will work perfectly with your machine. It has 6.5mm/1-1/4" jacks, so if you use earbuds, you'll have to use an adaptor plug, that's all.

Yes, as mj said, the HA400 is perfectly ok with the DP24/32's headphone socket at the front of the machine - it should work with any device with a dedicated headphone socket.

The mod in the 2nd video was to make it easier to use the HA400 with the 1/4" output sockets on the back of the DP machine - these use the same type of plug (a TRS - Tip-Ring-Sleeve) as headphones, but each socket is a mono balanced signal and not a stereo signal, so although the HA400 will work here, the sound will only come through one earpiece, which can be a bit uncomfortable for prolonged use.

One example of why you would want to do this is if you have several musicians who want a different mix of signals from the main mix in their headphones as a guide when overdubbing... say one wants just the vocal track, another wants just the drums & bass tracks, etc... or even the same mix but with different EQ, say less high frequencies to avoid bleed from the headphones into the mic. The Send-1 and/or Send-2 outputs can be configured to do this, so if you have enough headphone amps, you could have 1 or 2 customised mixes as well as the main mix from the front socket.

Reactions: -mjk-
You know Phil, as much as I like doing mods, I would have just taken one of those cheap molded guitar patch cables, cut one end off and installed a TRS plug wired mono. I could do 2 of them before the hole was even drilled.

Btw, the Monitor sends are balanced, but the FX sends are unbalanced. If he's using the Monitor sends to feed the box, he's good to go with a TRS cable.

mj - doh - why didn't I think of that? Maybe I drilled the extra hole while I was on a roll... or maybe I'd got tired of soldering plugs - this is just a subset of my home-made collection:-
wires-102.jpg
...and this was the 2nd time round as I made unbalanced ones first, then switched to balanced a few years later :)

Re. your btw.... maybe I'm wrong but I didn't think a stereo headphone amp would work with a TRS-to-TRS from a mono balanced output as the left and right sides would either be out of phase if it was a symmetrical-balanced feed, or one-sided if it was an impedance-balanced feed, both of which are unpleasant to listen to.

Reactions: -mjk-
Phil, funny, but I didn't realize those were your videos, because I watched them inline, lol. I should have though: the red text! I use red text on lots of my production too.

Yes, you are right, it would be out of phase. I didn't think that through! Funny you should say that, but I normally only use one side and I listen to the room with the other ear (when singing). If he doesn't have specific cables, or doesn't do your mod, he'll have to use the headphone jack, or a generic Y cable from the RCA stereo outs. I do like the idea of a mono switch in such devices though.

I have a Behringer Q502USB mixer, and it has 2-track RCA I/O jacks. I put the Monitor feed into the 2-track return, and feed the monitors via the 2-track out. One button connects the return to the mixer and USB. So, I can un-press the button and disconnect the monitors. Also, since the USB is on all the time, I can feed the PC audio bus when the button is down. Great for recording videos or live streaming. And it works the other way too. The PC audio bus feed's my recording monitors when the button is down. Very convenient when playing back on the PC. This arrangement allows me to run spectral display software and take the USB input as the source. Such a little thing, but extremely convenient.

Reactions: Phil Tipping

New threads

Members online