Headphones

Moxioron

Gear owned
Tascam 24SD
Hello all.

I was going nuts trying to figure out why my headphone jacks weren't working. Then alas I turned them all the way up and I could hear the playback and the live sounds.

Is there a trick to making the sound coming from that jack louder? Even all the way up, it's barely audible. Thanks.

See the "Tutorials and Informational Videos" sticky thread. There's a post on how to send the audio signal to headphones.

Last edited:
Just turn the volume back down before you press any buttons or you will really wish you hadn't done that.

@Moxioron, sorry I won't go nut after you, instead I'll gently ask you to give us more details about the context your issue lies in so we can try to help you.

Some hint:
Which Tascam desk/device are you talking about?
What kind of signal are you listening to and how did you set its path on the desk/device?
Did you perform gain staging?
Headphones have their own impedance and sensitivity, please let's know your numbers or at least the model.
Did you read the OM?

Thanks for the responses. Yes, read the manual. Figured out pretty easily how to get sound to the headphones. I have Beyerdynamic DT 770s, which are. pretty beefy and I get great sound out them with everything I use them for. However, from the Tascam / Model 12 I have to crank it all the way up. Do I need headphone amplifiers?

This would have utterly nothing to do with whether or not your Beyer's are "beefy". It is a routing misunderstanding at the board. It would be foolish to get a headphone amplifier (at least for this scenario).

Go through the channel strips and at the bottom of each fader make sure the solo buttons are all in the off position. Not depressed. Go to the output section and above the headphone pots there is an Aux 1 AFL button and an Aux 2 AfL button. Those two should also be off (in the up position). Up further (physically_ on the board and to the left of the main information screen there are two pin-led warning lights. One is labeled USB and the other is labeled PFL/AFL. That is a quick eye-check warning that there is a PFL button (or AFL) left on. In most cases leaving a PFL depressed causes some degree of havoc and those small warning lights provide a quick reminder of what is currently set in the current configuration

This configuration changes the overall intent of what role the headphones play on the Model 12.

The Model 12, 16 and 24 are brilliant pieces of gear. I'd say my 16 and 24 are the single best investment in recording I've ever purchased. they are deep, deep feature set devices and it's impossible, virtually impossible, to run these things, even on a fundament level, without a very comprehensive understanding of the unit itself.

Without honestly reading the manual there'll undoubtedly be a hundred other small (or large) problems arise and they'll arise often.

You really have two devices here. One is a mixer. One is the interface. both at times happily share a particular setup and play nicely, the other scenarios may require a tweak in the mixer section or interface section.

To get the most out of this device you've gotta have a firm grasp of the manual. Otherwise, I can almost guarantee you'll be doomed to flounder.

Read the manual. You'll learn a bunch.

Last edited:
Agree with Joseph - the issue is almost certainly incorrect routing somewhere in the signal chain.

I should think if there's a systemic issue with the headphone circuit volume then this forum would be flooded with posts. The headphone circuit puts out 45mW per channel. That's power enough to drive headphones rated up to 250 Ohm impedence to as much as a very loud 90dB SPL or more.

In general, given the same audio signal, the higher the headphone Impedence, the lower the SPL. If the headphones are 250 Ohm, 45mW/channel may not be enough power to take full advantage of the headphone's capabilities, but should still provide a good listening level.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Max Relic

New threads

Members online

No members online now.