Headphones

Christoph73

Gear owned
Tascam dr24 sd
Newbie... But getting along pretty good so far. Only thing... So far...and it's probably a stupid question or reason. But my headphones are only playing out of one side. They are not busted. I use them all the time. But.. I do use an adaptor for the input jack could this be why it's only on one side?? Please advise....

Thanks

Strange, but I'm also having headphone issues with my DP-32SD. I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500's that work fine with my iPhone, stereo system, and everything else I plug them into...except the TASCAM. I get a loud hiss and scratching which I also think is due to having to use the 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adaptor.

Does anyone recommend a good pair of headphones that uses the 1/4" jack by default? Most of the recommended models have the 3.5mm and I want to avoid the adaptor.

You might try cleaning the output jack on the DP-32SD with a really good quality contact cleaner (like Caig DeOxIt D5). Those 1/4" to 3.5 adapters shouldn't create a problem. But you want new headphones, no professional pair of phones terminates to a mini-plug: they all are hardwired to a 1/4" phono plug, and use an adapter to step it down to a mini-plug.

If the phone work everywhere else but not your 32SD, it's not the phones. Scrub that output jack. Don't use alcohol based "tuner cleaner: get a can of DeOxIt.

If you want new phones, go for something like Sony MDR-7506s (an industry-wide standard for tracking, field recording, you name it).

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I looked up those Sony MDR-7506s, but they too end with a mini-plug:Sony MDR-7506.jpg

I might add that it's hard for me to believe that the input jacks are dirty as I've had this less than a year and is actually the first time that I fire it up.

Last edited:
Might be obvious but are you using a stereo adapter, i.e. the 1/4" part should have 2 black insulating rings not 1.

Attachments

• JackAdapters.jpg
    JackAdapters.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 4
I agree with Phil. You need a stereo (also called TRS) adapter.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.