Help with blown preamp FW-1082

Stoneyboy

Gear owned
Tascam FW-1082
So I recently just noticed that my channel 2 has a weird gain issue, I am guessing it is a blown preamp. With the gain any further than 9 o'clock, the signal light comes on regardless of input, and there is a sound like ocean waves with the slider turned up. It will record, but with static as described in the back ground. I have scoured through the posts around, and seems that I have an issue with the mic pream being blown, hopefully just the diode to protect it.
Could someone point me in the way of the specifics on the parts to repair it and schematics or repair manual even?? I had spoken to the folks at tascam, but I hardly think I should be sending the unit to California to "run diagnostics" and for repair when I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Any help would be amazing. I really like the unit for what I do but don't think its worth paying to have it shipped to california only to be charged an arm and a leg to have it repaired when I could do it on my own.

Sorry i forgot to say it was an fw-1082. But i think the part is compatible with 1884?

so, judging by the spec sheet I saw from an earlier post, the cost of the op amp itself (using the part number found in previous posts) is under a dollar each. I am enclosing the link to the specific part as I found it on the parts site. The part that Machinator is selling costs significcantly more. I realize there is an adapter included etc. but can someone tell me what else is different??

And just to confirm what my issue actually is, I hear static constantly on channel 2 only, sort of like an oceany type sound with decreased signal from what ever is connected to that channel. Also, the signal light comes on when the gain control is only turned up 1/4 of the way even with nothing connected.

So does anyone know how much there is to disassembling the unit to replace the op amp? I was at the repair center and dropped off the unit they said the part was very cheap but gave a ridiculous estimate just for labor before looking at it. I only paid $100 for the unit. Is it worth getting it fixed at the repair shop?

So anyone know where else i can get one of these?? Machinator was on it, was supposed to let me know shipping costs etc. But i havent heard from him in weeks, over a month and isnt answering emails. Hopefully everything is ok with him.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.