Help with Phase

Ethan H.

From
Virginia, USA
Gear owned
DP-32
Hello, I have a question about using the phase setting in the track and input mixer screen.

What is phase actually doing and when should it be used?
I know it is "inverting the signal phase" or something like that. But what advantage does that offer in recording?
I watched Mr. Tipping's video (twice) that covered using phase but I must confess that I could hear no difference in the audio sample when it was turned on or off (I was even using headphones). And neither could I grasp his explanation of the whole concept.
Could someone help a country boy out?

Many thanks!

Hi Ethan. Phase reversal is the reversal of polarity of the signal basically. It's only really important when there is more than one signal present. If you're listening to a single source or track, and reverse the phase you won't be able to hear any difference. But when it's mixed with multiple sources or tracks, then it changes everything.

So what is the use of reversing the phase? Ultimately it's up to your ears. Many engineers record snare drums with a top and bottom mic, and then reverse the phase on one and adjust the amplitudes of the signals relative to each other until it sounds the way they want. Remember that out of phase signals will cancel any frequencies they have in common at the same amplitude. This can be extremely useful. Let me illustrate:

I always prefer real rooms to digital ones. The studio I worked out of in Boston had a fantastic room for vocals. To record the ambience, I used two microphones in an omnidirectional pattern to pick up the room ambience of the singer. The problem is however there is always a significant amount of the singer's direct sound into the ambient mics (yes I realize I could've used the cardioid pattern and pointed the null at the singer, but I wanted the entire room bounce). If I recorded a mono track of the singer close mic'ed, and a stereo track of the ambient mics, when I brought the ambience up to the point where I liked it, there was too much of the singers direct sound from the ambient mics.

Reversing the phase of one of the ambient microphones can solve the problem. All things being equal (meaning the microphones have to be identical, the equalization etc.), you adjust the relative amplitude of the two microphone signals until you reduce the unwanted portion of the signal, and in this case the singer's voice. Then you have a stereo pair of tracks with nothing but the room ambience. You bring the mono track of the singers voice up in the mix, and then you can add as much of that ambience as you want and it doesn't cause any more center channel buildup, midrange smear, or just too much vocal. In most cases, I was able to obtain greater than a 60 dB reduction of the singer's voice and the ambient stereo pair.

Another good example is for acoustic guitarists that like to sing and record vocal and guitar at the same time. Trying to get separation between voice and guitar can drive you nuts. Once again, phase reverse can save the day. Put a microphone on the guitar. And then put another identical microphone in the air over the singer's head, but at the same distance from the singer's mouth as the guitar mic is. Reverse the phase on the overhead mic, and adjust the amplitude until you cancel out the singers voice.

You can make a noise canceling microphone out of any pair of identical microphones back to back, by reversing the phase of one of them. Signals that reach the microphone with equal amplitudes will be canceled. Any signal that's closer to one mic than the other, will make it through. this is exactly how mobile phones operate. Your mouth is always closer to the microphone on the bottom. But the car honking, the dog barking, the bus going by etc., all reach both microphones with equal amplitude, and are therefore, cancelled.

By all means, experiment and play around with phase reversal. Mastering the use of phase reversal can save the day!

Wow. That sounds like cool stuff! I had no idea....
It all sounds pretty advanced but I will keep this knowledge and do some experimenting.
It's a lot of fun.

Thanks, mjk!

Ethan, what i really wanted to do was encourage you to just go for it and experiment. the "rules" are just starting points, much like amp presets. trust your ears as the final authority on all audio matters. it doesn't hurt anything at all to put multiple mics up, all around the performers, amps, room, etc., and play with the balance, EQ, and phase. honestly, some of my best work was something i stumbled upon by accident. anyone who says otherwise isn't being straight! have fun!

1998 digital photos are not what they are today, but you can see how many mics we would put up. the more audio you have, the more control you have.

Attachments

• studi015.jpg
    studi015.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 38
  • studi010.jpg
    studi010.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 39
  • studi011.jpg
    studi011.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 32
Man. That is a lot of mics. And a big room with hardwood floors? Were the acoustics good in such a place? I see you had carpet(?) on the wall. Was this the studio in Boston you made reference to?

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, hard wood floors with rolled carpets. The walls had a type of treatment from the 60's with convex and soft surfaces interlaced. Notice the Orange amp with HIWATT cabinet. That's a U67 back about 4 meters, about 30cm of the floor with the carpet rolled back. Amp is cranked full up. Just north of Boston, yes. Acoustics were good. Did lots of rock bands and also horns, piano, and vocal tracks there.

So, in the shot of the orange amp, you are using the mic in the foreground to catch the sound from the amp? From that far away?

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, Ethan. After years of sessions and experimentation in that room, I found that the combination of direct and reflected sounds off that wooden floor at that distance produced a killer guitar tone. On my website all the guitar sounds were recorded using that very method and that exact mic and amp.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.