How do I use two headphones while recording?

Spyder

This may seem like a simple question, but can I attach two headphones to the DP 24 for recording? I'm going to record a friend soon and first we'll record his acoustic guitar. Then we'll record the vocals, but for him to sing along to the guitar track I'd want him to have headphones to listen along to the guitar, but I'll also need headphones while recording him. There is just one headphone jack at the front of the console. How can I add a second set of headphones for him to listen to?

That looks like exactly what I need, thx! And everyone getting control over the volume is perfect.

I have one question on setting this up: do I just need to buy one male to male 1/4 jack cable that connects this to my DP 24 headphone jack? I see five inputs on the device so I presume I connect this with one male to male cable, and then I connect up to 4 headphones with the other 4. Stupid question, I know, but when I was a kid in school my teachers said there were no such things as stupid questions haha.

Right you are, sir! Make sure it's stereo 1/4 inch male-to-male and you are golden. A guitar chord will kind of work, but only one earcup will function.

Great, thanks again! I found the headphone amp at a couple local stores that are the same price as what I saw on eBay so I'll just head over and grab it. Not 12 bucks anymore haha. Will definitely be worth the price though.

Stereo plug is good advice from kenk. If you did use a mono jack, it would short out one of the dp24/32 headphone amp outputs. Not sure if this would cause damage but I wouldn't risk it. You could also use the Send output(s) to feed the HA-400 - a mono jack would be ok here as the Send outputs are not stereo. This way, he could hear his own 'mix' - with FX - completely separate to what you are hearing via the headphone output.
If you like DIY, there are a couple of HA-400 mods here which might be of interest.

On studio desks, one feeds the foldback to players' headphones via AUX send.
You can do the same thing on the Tacam using Effects send.

On my 2488 Neo I have a y cable (two mono jacks to stereo jack socket) from
Effects Send 1+2 to a headphone amplifier like the one described above.

Often musician want a different mix to your monitor mix. You can quickly
set this up for them exactly as they want it. You can check the foldback mix
by switching your own monitoring to Eff Send.

A pal of mine who also has a Neo uses the same system except that he
has several pairs of Sennheiser wireless headphones. He simply plugs the
output of the y cable to the input of a Sennheiser transmitter. One transmitter
can drive ten or so pairs of headphones, and there are no cables. Musicians
seem to like this very much.

Iain

Great, thanks for the info, everyone!

I have a question about something else that I'll probably create another topic for, but yesterday I was importing a .wav file to my DP-24, (first time I've done this), and after I selected 'track 1' of a new song I created to import the .wav file there (small file, just a click track), the DP-24 froze. I hit the power button to turn the machine off but that didn't work so I had to unplug it. When I powered it back on, the graphics in the display showed for a bit then froze. I tried this a couple more times, then when it was powered off, I removed the SD card (the original one that came with the machine) and it started fine. So I broke the SD card while importing the file somehow.

The .wav file was exported from EZ Drummer 2. I selected 24 bit (as my new song was 48khz, 24 bit), and I actually first tried importing that file, but it didn't allow me because the file was 44.1 khz. So I opened that .wav file in Adobe Audition and exported it at 48khz. I then was going to import it and the options for track were 1-2, 3-4, etc. So I realized I was exporting that file from Audition as stereo. So I went back to Audition and exported it as a mono track. So then it allowed me to choose track 1 for my song, then it froze. So I'm not sure what killed my SD card. The only songs on the card were the demo song that came with the machine and one other song that just had a guitar and bass track, so it's not like it was full. Any ideas?

New threads

Members online