How do you rec live gigs and monitor the PA?

rqstudio

Veteran
Gear owned
MX-2424 DM-3200
Please forgive me I haven touched my DM's for 5 years and when I did have my set up I was not using the DM in a duel roll situation.
I started routing my DM manually thinking during a live performance I could send 1-24 layer 1 to the MX-2424 and then mix the live performance even using EQ and EFX if I wish using the 2nd layer, 25 -48. This seemed logical because the Record lights were on layer 1 and not layer 2 which again, I was using to monitor. This seems logical correct?
But then I decided to load the 24X24 which was in the stock library. It's returns are on layer 1 along with the recording lights right? Confusing. And the buss channels are on layer 2 w/o the recording lights right? Again...confusing.
Can anyone explain why this confusing way is the way Tascam elected to make the only setup snapshot in my new DM-2424? How do you do your live gigs? I assume you send everything to tape and mix the playback for the PA System, correct?

I don't think anyone could explain why Tascam elected to setup the snapshot this way.
I think I would utilize input-bypass for this split setup. In this type of setup, you would directly send your inputs to your MX2424, (unaffected by fader/effects, but volume will be set by the gain knob) using the TDIF connections. You can do this by going into your routing/output screen, and assigning M/L 1-24 to TDIF 1-24, using Input-Bypass. (44.1K or 48K only for full channel count)
Then, you could also assign M/L 1-24 to DM Channel inputs 1-24. These would then be effected by fader/effects. You would then send these 1-24 out the Stereo Buss, or any buss, and out to your PA. That allows you to keep your other layers for other stuff.

Reactions: captdan
Good to know I'm not crazy, I tried doing it the way you suggested but ran into a few bugs that I think are related to "input-bypass." What exactly does this do or will allow me to do?

Input Bypass allows you to send any of your physical inputs to any outputs without having to go through a buss. (channel buss, stereo buss or aux busses)

For example, the original way you were going to set up your rig, you wanted to have each mic input, 1-24, to come into a channel input. This is fine, but, without input bypass, you would then have to send each input to one of the busses, then go out of that buss to your TDIF outputs.
The advantage here is that you would have fader control and effects available (if you wanted them) before they would go to your MX. But, this is considered destructive recording. Anything added to your signal here (on purpose or not) will always be part of your recording.
The disadvantage here is that you might not want to have fader control and effects added to the signal you are sending out to be recorded. Arguably speaking, you probably want to send a direct, clean, unaffected signal to your MX for recording, to manipulate with effects later. (non-destructive)

And, you then also wanted to use layer 25-48 as you inputs to go to your PA rig.
You Can do it this way, if you want to, from a routing POV. But, by using input-bypass, you can send your signals directly and unaffected to your MX, via TDIF, while utilizing layer 1 (1-24) for channel inputs to be sent to a buss and on to your PA. This not only frees up your second layer, it means you don't have to worry about anything effecting your signal to the MX. And you wont be tying up any buss channels either,(stereo buss or otherwise) allowing you to use them for your PA rig.

Now, what bugs were you running into?

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll get my spandex and cape.

Oh sheit, don't ruin it for me now! LOL

TascMan, just to get you down on earth with us, the DM3200 only has input channels 1-16, not 1-24
;) - Oh wait, rqstudio also speaks of 1-24.. So it's a 4800 then I guess. You may take off again.

Admittedly, although my feet are firmly planted on the ground, my head IS often in the clouds.
I know the 3200 has 16 input channels as that's the DM I own. As you said, I saw that he was referencing channels 1-24, so I was assuming he had a 48.

Pretty much everyone knows how many inputs belong to what mixer. I actually have both and have been referencing back and forth so it may have been confusing.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.