How to assign busses to other physical outs?

wm_b

Veteran
Gear owned
DM3200, DM4800 and DM24
If I have 8 channels of outputs available on a IF AN/DM how would I route a BUS to output to any of these physical outputs? Can this be done? I am pretty comfortable getting inputs routed around to various outputs but I don't really know if a BUS can be setup to a physical output like an AUX can.

I am trying to integrate a personal monitoring system so talent can control their monitor mixes. I can do it easily from the DAW if I'm recording but if I wanted to do something like this in a live sound environment I'd need to overcome the 4 or 8 aux outputs of my DM 3200 or 4800.

Do it the same way you select any other output. In your specific case, go to the Routing display, select the "Output Slot" tab, select the slot in which you've installed the IF AN/DM card (e.g. Slot 2), and under "Output Select", select the port output number (e.g. port or jack 5 on the IF AN/DM card) and use the wheel to select the source that you want to route to that port (e.g. Buss 8, Aux 3, etc.)

I use the DAW for personal headphone mixes but the above instructions are perfect for a live situation.

Reactions: wm_b
One other point that I've learned though experience:

For cue mixes, maintaining full stereo is often not necessary. Some studios provide only a mono cue feed and I found that, as a musician, that lacks some life and inspiration, at least for me. Others provide full stereo, which works well, but that uses more outputs. I've found a compromise that works well for me and other musicians/singers (hereafter all referred to as "musicians").

One of the most important aspects for most of us when playing or singing is "more me" — we each want/need to hear ourselves above the rest of the mix for the aforementioned inspiration as well as to assure our playing/singing is on the mark. So, a great approach is to use a headphone amp that provides a stereo output of the main mix and allows the engineer to add a track or tracks representing each musician's "me" component. The inexpensive Presonus HP60 and ART HeadAmp6 Pro are such amps and there are others including some great distribution systems that can be controlled by the musicians themselves. While they allow you to provide the "me" component in stereo, that's 2 outputs from your IF AN/DM card or 2 Aux channels for each additional cue mix. HOWEVER, if you provide the main mix in stereo and then the "me" channel in mono, I've found that the whole mix sounds as if it's in stereo and yet you use only one additional channel output for each additional musician cue. That's 8 cues from your IF AN/DM. And, in fact, vocals usually are panned center anyway, and doing that for each musicians cue in mono centers that cue prominently.

Thought this tip might help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Do it the same way you select any other output. In your specific case, go to the Routing display, select the "Output Slot" tab, select the slot in which you've installed the IF AN/DM card (e.g. Slot 2), and under "Output Select", select the port output number (e.g. port or jack 5 on the IF AN/DM card) and use the wheel to select the source that you want to route to that port (e.g. Buss 8, Aux 3, etc.)

I'll check that out later today. I was looking at that stuff and got a little confused what I think is the "Terminal" option. It's the 3rd multifunction knob. I'm sure I'll figure this out eventually.

As much as I really like these mixers, it does seem a backwards that one must select the terminal on the left side with POD 3 and the signal source on the right with POD 4. You'd think it'd be reversed to follow standard block diagram signal flow which is usually left to right. Regardless, it will become more intuitive as you use it more.

That seems to have done the trick. I put TERMINAL SELECT on SLOT 2 trk 1-8, SOURCE SELECT on BUS/DIRECT, and then under OUTPUT SELECT I selected Batch Setup to BUS 1-8 and it worked as desired. Groovy.

Glad it's working for you!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.