How to Change Converter Reference Level

Bob Jonezon

Gear owned
DM-3200
Hey guys... it seems the DM3200 / DM4800 are set up stock with a -16dBFS reference level on the AD/DA converters. That is -16dBFS = +4dBu on the outputs. Giving them a max output level of +20dBu (@0dBFS). I could have sworn there was away to adjust the reference level for the converters, by I can't for the life of me find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks!

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the input level is +24v@0bfs.

Either way, I'm not aware of an internal adjustment. I'll stand corrected if somebody can verify otherwise.

CaptDan

Thanks CaptDan. I haven't been able to find anything in the service manual either. The only lead I've seen is a note in the gain staging diagram that says, "At factory set reference level of -16dBFS". Leads me to believe there is some way to change.

All of the analog accessories seem to have switches or jumpers.

May end up reaching out to Tascam to see if I can turn anything up.

Thanks,

Bob

From what I recall, most analog expansion cards - Tascam's and other manufacturers - feature input gain adjustments to allow optimum gain matching between a variety of outboard gear. Yamaha's various analog cards, for example, are switchable while their host consoles have fixed level inputs, probably like the DM consoles do as well.

Again, there's likely more to the story, but because I haven't ever used analog cards in that fashion, I have no real experience to go by.

CaptDan

I shot an email in to Tascam today. I think there's likely some internal jumpers, but haven't found any references in any documentation I could turn up.

Part of all of this is due to my stubborn insistance on hooking up to an old Scully reel to reel deck I've got. There's just not as much headroom on tape and in those old electronics.

There's plenty of places to "turn it down" and get by, but I'm kind of a stickler for silly details that don't really matter, lol.

I have about 12dB over reference (+4dBu) of headroom on the tape machine, and would be good to set up the digital reference level to around -12dBFS to match, so all of the metering, and "unity" points line up.

Again, plenty of other ways to make it work, but I'm hopeful this adjustment exists in the DM.

I'll let you know if I hear anything back from Tascam.

If it comes to it, will definitely give it a roll!

Thanks, Fiber. Certainly don't want you to do that on my account. I haven't ever opened up my DM, but certainly not hesitant to do it if needed.

I've got it mounted in a wood console, so only the face and rear is accessible. Would I require access to the sides / bottom to gain access to the AD/DA board(s)?

Ah, had a feeling. If I haven't heard anything definitive from Tascam or anywhere else by the weekend, will probably go ahead an pull it, and dig in to see what I can find.

Thanks!

New threads

Staff online

Members online