Model 24 (Live Mixer mode) - Setting levels on a dynamic microphone

komischee

Gear owned
Model 24
This is probably the most basic question ever. Can someone give me a step by step on getting levels with a simple vocal microphone, when using the Model 24 as a Live Mixer?

I can get sound out of the mic - the problem is my main meter isn't showing anything, so I'm always guessing at whether I'm at the right level.

I know you adjust it at the red Gain knob first to get the mic to Line Level. Again the problem is the meter isn't showing me anything to indicate when I've reached 0 on the meter. I saw a video where he hit PFL on the channel to set this level, but I'm still getting nothing.

Can someone please give me a first-timer breakdown of how you do this, and if that doesn't work I'll assume there's a problem with the gear.

Hi @komischee, and welcome to the forum.
Look at the Sticky Threads at the top of this forum, you will find plenty of tutorials and facts collected for you. Take the time to read the stickies along with the Model 24 user's manual and you likely will find the right answer to your question.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I looked through all 34 pages of the main threads and have been searching youTube videos for a few days. Nothing seems to focus on the Live Mixer mode. The User Manual seems to skip over this topic as well.

The funny thing is I've been using the Model 24 mainly as an interface into a DAW and have had no issues.

If someone could take the time to answer the above question, I'd really appreciate it!

I don't own one of these front-of-house mixers, but my first question to you would be:
* what "meters" are you talking about: the channel input meters, or the stereo bus meter?

Next would be:
* How do you display the channel input meter on the display screen; and
* How do you route the channel signal to the MAIN L/R Bus / stereo output meters?

I'd be very surprised if the owner manual doesn't cover such basic information.

ps - the gain knob doesn't bring a mic signal to line level. Mic and line are typically two different circuits in a mixer. Gain is used typically to tame a hot mic signal by starting at unity gain (full on) and backing off until the overload indicator stops flashing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Relic
On the closest thing I've been able to find covering this topic, he was able to see the level of the vocal microphone, while adjusting the gain knob, on the stereo bus meter.

The routing I don't have a problem with - you just engage the MAIN button on that channel to send it to the MAIN L/R.

I'm almost wondering if there's something wrong with my Model 24 because yes, this should be the very first, simplest thing to do haha.

It's funny because I've been able to produce full songs on this unit, but when I just want to practice singing live through speakers, I can't get any metering for levels on the mic and I basically have to guess when it's in the right spot.

I'm talking about setting the initial gain on the preamp, getting it to 0 db on the meter before moving onto the fader.

Not a dumb question because something like that is probably the problem haha. Yes, it is set to Live.

So You have a mic plugged in to the XLR, gain up, mode selector set to live, and the gain LED for that channel is lighting up but the meter on the LCD doesn't show the signal? And by meter I mean the screen that shows channels 1-8 and the others selectible below it.

@komischee
Let's forget the mic for a moment. Does the "Main Mix LED Meter" (to call things with proper name) shows some activity when you input a line level signal like a synthesizer or a drum machine? It's unclear how you set up your channel strip and busses, so it would be easier for us to make an idea -and perhaps give an informed opinion- if you would get into details top-down possibly using the same terminology used in the OM (for better understanding). If you prefer, shot a brief video of the issue.

Note 1: the F1 button, located leftmost under the LCD display, lets you cycle through various meter input sources, while F2-F3-F4 let you select which channel group to monitor.
Note 2: look at the PFL/AFL indicator at the left of LCD, if it is lit there is a push button engaged somewhere and likely the LED Meter is not showing what you'd want.

Last edited:
Max, the Block Diagram shows the Main Mix LED Meter as the last point in the outbound signal chain, after the recorder. Does the Channel have to be in Record Ready to trigger the meters?

Reactions: Max Relic
@Mark Richards, thanks for ringing! Comparing block diagrams of Model 24 & 12 I noticed a big difference I wasn't aware of: the M24 has the Main Mix Level Meter (LED VU-Meter, if you like) connected permanently to Main Outputs, while on the M12 it's switched according to PFL/AFL button (this often can make the operator scratch his head). To answer you q.: AFAICT in Live Mode the Main Mix LED Meter will indicate whatever signal is flowing on the Main bus and arrives at the Main Output with no particular need to engage "record" on channels (Main Mix is always recorded even if no channels are engaged). The Main Mix Mute button is supposed to break signal flow before the output stage and thus the LED Meter would indicate nothing, nada, zero.
LCD signal meter has specific screens for monitoring in live, MTR and PC Return modes.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online