How to enable LOCATE mode on meter bridge?

rungabic

Gear owned
DM-4800
I'm brand new to both my DM-4800/meter bridge and Cubase Elements 9.5, but I've managed with the help of old forum posts here to get transport control, metering, and timecode working between Cubase and the mixer/meter bridge.

To the right of my meter bridge's timecode display are TC, LOCATE, and LOCK. On mine, TC is lit up, and apparently when you scrub through using the computer or using the mixer's jog wheel, the meter bridge just displays the last timecode it had when play was stopped. Then if you hit play, the display updates to whatever point in time play was started at.

I'm trying to figure out how to switch the meter bridge to the LOCATE mode, which I assume (?) means that the numeric display will change as you scrub around. According to the meter bridge one-sheet "manual," this is accomplished by going to the mixer's OPTION/SETUP screen and changing the LOCATE DISPLAY mode. Not only doesn't this have any effect, but the manual doesn't make it sound like this option has anything to do with what I'm trying to accomplish.

Undoubtedly, I have no idea what I'm doing here (either with the mixer or Cubase's settings), and I'd appreciate any help from those of who know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

I have a similar problem. Did you figure out how to do it?

Actually, I never did...but also, I've been taken away from experimenting, so the solution may be out there. I'm hoping that bringing this thread back to life will bring forth a simple answer from one of the gurus on the forum!

I read somewhere on this forum that this is not working. At least it doesn't in Logic as far as I know. Could be different for other DAWs.

Can you find where you read that on the forum? I certainly searched before I posted here, but the search function isn't great...

The search function has a bug. When you do a search, you are getting (external) Google results. There is a tiny tab somewhere near the top that lets you switch to 'site results'. I did a quick search but can't seem to find it right now.

UPDATE: I found something on the forum about the MTC not updating when ffw and rw.
http://www.tascamforums.com/threads/dm4800-and-logic-9-transport-timecode.545/#post-2432

Apparently LOCATE has nothing to do with this. :)

Last edited:
Interesting -- thanks for finding that post. At least I know that maybe I'm not going crazy.

The meter bridge gets all its information from the DAW: the problem is simply that your DAW is not sending time code to the mixer unless it's playing. Scrubbing, relocating, etc., doesn't send time code.

I'm not familiar with Cubase, and maybe it has a "ALWAYS send current MTC" setting or something like that. But the DAWs I use don't send time code unless the PLAY button is lit.

Thanks, Jim! I really appreciate your clearing that up. Since you explained that so well, I have a dumb question if you don't mind...so what are the LOCATE and LOCK modes?

I guess nobody knows... :)

Seriously though: I found this in de Owner's Manual of the DM4800:
LOCATE DISPLAY mode
This parameter determines how a location entry will be shown on the display: in the timecode position (TIMECODE DISPLAY) or as a separate popup display on the screen (LCD Screen Popup).

So apparently this setting is about the internal display only. I have attached the whole page about the Option page.

Attachments

• DM-4800_OM_B_Pagina_042.png
    DM-4800_OM_B_Pagina_042.png
    287.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Batah
Thanks everyone for chiming in on this thread -- very helpful. I had put this issue aside and will now revisit it...

The only time I can recall seeing the meter bridge "Locate" light come on was when controlling an ADAT from the DM using the locate buttons in the DM Machine Control section. It may also do it when controlling a DAW but I never use the DM automation/machine control buttons when using a DAW as it causes other problems and is also less convenient. I've always assumed that the "locate" light was only indicative that the DM successfully sent a Locate position to an external device.

Reactions: Peter Batah

New threads

Members online