How to Get the Most Flexibility Using "Guitar Effect"

Mark Richards

Soundaholic
From
Somewhere Near Nashville
Gear owned
DP-24/40-4MTR/M30
I had posted this as a response to an off-topic comment in one of the threads. It occurred to me this might have a broader interest so I've made it a separate thread and hopefully easier to find in a search of the forum.

DP-24/32 Challenge:
* Guitar Effect is only available to one track at a time and for either record or play
* It appears that the dry/wet effect decisions must be made at time of recording and get locked in if you want to have the effect on more than one track during mixdown

This might be an imperfect solution for gaining the most flexibility when using the Guitar Effect:
* Record guitar dry on Tr1
* Rewind
* Turn on Tr1 "Insert Effect" in mixer screen
* Turn Tr1 Pan hard left (for maximum volume)
* From Guitar Effects choose a single guitar effect or a desired combination and set to "play"
* Set effects level as wet as possible (the idea is to minimize the dry guitar sound)
* Return to multitrack screen
* Set Tr1 fader to unity gain/0dB
* Enter bounce mode
* Select Tr1 (with the chosen effect turned on) as source, Tr2 as the record track
* Record the bounce. This places the guitar effect on Tr2
* Repeat with different guitar effects bounced from Tr1 to Tr3, 4, etc.
* After last bounce turn off "Insert Effect" for Tr1

The Result is a clean guitar recorded only once (on Tr1), and several different guitar effects on Tr2, Tr3, Tr4,...etc. that can be selected and blended with Tr1 on Mixdown, or combined in a bounce to another open track or virtual track. Each effects track won't be completely wet, but should provide enough of a wet sound to blend effectively with the dry guitar on Tr1 or used in some other creative way. It also frees up the block of guitar effects for use on some other instrument during Mixdown, and you aren't locked into an effect sound if you decide you don't like it.

Not a perfect solution, but might get the job done.

Last edited:
That's a great post. Thank you, sir.

Would you mind if I quoted this entirely, elsewhere?

Last edited:

Members online