how to wire single speaker for mono output dm4800

laverton

Gear owned
dm4800
Hi.

I'm thinking of buying a single mix cube for checking mixes in mono & was wondering whats the correct way to wire it to the 4800?Can I just plug it into either of the Left/Right speaker outputs and aslong as the mono button is engaged it'll be true mono?I hope it's that simple just not 100% sure.

Cheers

Laverton

Why do that? Just use the built in MONO switch. Push it, and miraculously your stereo signal is summed to MONO. I use this feature regularly - with both of my nearfields. Can't beat it for checking efx depth, phasing and general balance.

No wiring; no fuss; no mess. Try it. You'll like it. :)

CaptDan

I often set delays this way for a stereo spread. I find 17-19 ms and 30ms are good spots for a stereo image without causing major phase issues.

Reactions: captdan
Yeah I already use the mono button a lot for checking mixes.The mix cube is for a different perspective,it's a copy of the auratones so is far from full range,unlike my mackies! Can anyone confirm my original post is the right way to hook these for mono with the dm4800?

Laverton

The point of checking a mono version of a summed stereo signal is to determine phase coherence - among other things. So, if you feed a single 'HorroTone' one side of a stereo pair, you're only hearing 1/2 of the truth. The speaker needs to receive a mono signal derived from both stereo sides.

So to answer your question: No! Your intended method isn't the right way to do this.

Are your Mackies active or passive? (self powered or outboard powered?). If they're self powered, keep them on one of the dedicated 4800 monitor outputs. Using the other output, wire up a dedicated power amp, take the left and right outputs from that amp, wire these together into a single mono strand which will feed your MixCube. This way, the cube receives a summed signal originating from both sides of your stereo mix.

You're in far better shape if your Mackies are passive. That's because a single power amp can feed both monitors, reducing the risk of introducing another variable in the signal chain. That's exactly how I've got my nearfields and Aurotones wired up to my 3200 - to a Haffler 250 powering both sets of monitors. Unlike you, however, I've only got a single DM3200 preamped monitor output, so I need to use a switch box. With this rig and the MONO switch, I can obtain several signal representations making mix decisions far easier than they would otherwise be.

If somebody else has a better idea (quite likely), let 'em chime in. :)

CaptDan

Last edited:
In the DM3200 block diagram, it looks like both CR outputs receive the same mono signal after pushing 'mono' (digitally summed). That would mean the OP's original idea would work, i.e. either L or R outputs get the same signal. Mind you: not for the main stereo outputs! But you could use a phone output, since it gets the same signal as CR out.

To be sure, you could simply create a test signal with a sinus wave at only left and then only right channels from your DAW. Connect the way you like, set MONO switch and check the result.

Thanks Arjan! You prove again that studying block diagrams answers many questions. :)

But it's a good idea as you say to check the theory. As long as one is SURE the stereo signal is being combined into L/R equally, there can be no risk of creating a problem mono summing is supposed to reveal.

CaptDan

Thanks for the reply Arjan.

I'm using a 4800 so the active mix cube will be on the 2nd monitor output.Hopefully the speaker will arrive today,i'll try a panned sine wave test just to be sure i'm getting true mono.I'll post the results.

Laverton

Of course the L and R outputs are exactly equal when the mono button is pushed.
Mono = L+R, otherwise it wouldn't be.....mono ;)

That is how every preamplifier or mixing desk works with a mono button.
For example, my Quad 44 pre, when set to mono, it just adds L+R physically, and is the same for the Tascam DM mixers.
This is an excerpt of the DM24 block diagram (service manual) which is similar to DM3200 and 4800.
dm24crout.jpg

Red arrow = mono button
When mono is pushed, CR out and phones out (blue arrows) are summed to mono.

To be complete, DM3200 block diagram (service manual), couldn't find a DM4800 version though.
dm3200block.jpg

BTW, I do use the mono function a lot as well, every mix is checked in mono. Lots of advantages to work like this.

Last edited:
Of course the L and R outputs are exactly equal when the mono button is pushed.
Mono = L+R, otherwise it wouldn't be.....mono ;)
Yes, it should be like that. But, I wish it was true for any and all audio equipment I owned. Unfortunately 'mono' for some of them was just one of the two outputs...

There are several old classic tunes that phased out the lead vox or instrument when mono-ed. I had a little boom box radio that was mono, it would probably still work if I could find it! But several tunes would sound completely different when heard through it. One a resent as "Wayward Friend, Kansas?" lost a whole vocal or something to that effect. LOL Probably is a good idea to check whenever using any kind of phase plug.;)

New threads

Members online