IF-FW/DMmkII discontinued

Truth is, there's never been a huge demand for these things.

No, Not quite True. The low and mid level Live sound & Worship market has exploded with digital mixers of the last 3-years as reliability for digital mixers has been verified and the small footprint size, ease of setup, as well as cost vs feature ratio brings real perceived value even thou the A/D & D/A & Effects are still rather crappy for the all in one product.

At the Pro Live Sound level all the major players (AVID, Soundcraft, SSL, DigiCo, Yamaha to name a few) are doing very well with new improved Console mixer models every few years. For major touring acts, it's pretty rare to find an act using an Analog console anymore.

Thunderbolt is already dead as well from what I've read.

You've likely been reading in the wrong places. Thunderbolt is far from dead. In fact what you may not know or have read of recent is that Intel has announced that TB3 (capable of two 4k or 5k monitors on one cable) will be using USB Type-C connector. MS may still not support TB on Windows even in Windows 10 which os due to be released end of July.

And what most people don't know about the new MacBook USB Type-C is that it is capable of running TB whenever Apple chooses that they want to use or support it. Granted that USB 3/3.1 may end being the real winner as most people don't seem to need what TB offers for data to day use.

AFAIK, the DM3200 is still in production. And I'll take Redbus' words at face value - that Tascam supports product/parts replacement for 7 years after production run. That bodes well for usability and merit for quite awhile, IMO.

CaptDan

A dead product is not the same as a discontinued product. Dead means no more development, advertising, inventory on demand, loaners to dealers and to just milk the sales while you still have parts, factory expertise and space for assembly.

Tascam can only support parts that they have in stock or that are still available in the marketplace. But if a specific proprietary part or cable is needed or a whole assemble or specific PC board is needed, those are the kind of parts that are likely to not be available in the long term.

DM3200 could be very well be discontinued but there may still be inventory for it to appear be a current product. That Happens all the time. If your not making and selling a but load of them, it gets hard to justify to continue making them as the profit margin shrinks for it to not be worth making them anymore.

When companies choose not to update a particular product, it's either because the market is too saturated or - in their view - not substantial enough to warrant it in the first place. Has nothing to do with relevance or quality.

But dissatisfaction is the keystone of consumerism; if users are never 100% satisfied with a product, there's always the potential for another purchase. That's what keeps the wheels turning.

The Matrix is a great board. I'd say you should go for it if - or when - you can. Life's too short to spend time with gear that doesn't make you 100% happy.

CaptDan

But a lot of people have this board -- and not just weekend warriors. I think the demand for incremental improvements would continue to put money in Tascam's pockets for years to come.

Yeah, I was tempted to bite at that used one on eBay for $14k but it would have involved a major breakdown (again) of our studio and we have to make money. However, I think early next year we may revisit the issue. You'll know when I post an inquiry whether anyone is willing to buy a less than 2 years old DM-3200 with the firewire and AES cards installed, plus a matching Argosy desk -- LOL!

I don't consider myself a weekend warrior, but I guess I'm too easily pleased. I have no problems whatsoever with the rig. I get things done with plenty to spare.

Whatever happens - or doesn't happen - with the DM isn't going to affect me.

That's all I got.

CaptDan

I use my desk to make a living, as I have for 20 years. I looked at the SSL's, but when I stumbled over the DM for 10% of the price and traded ideas with the guys on this forum, it was a no-brain decision. I'll run mine til I can't.

But I don't kid myself that this console is widely used. When I encountered one being used at EMG's video production studio, the studio manager and I started talking about it like we were long-lost twins.

Reactions: captdan

New threads

Members online