IF-FWDM not being recognized my Mac

THAT WORKED!!

CARD: OK (Backup)
1394 Locked

Mac Recognizes the card
Streaming audio through it into the DM3200

Do I just run it in backup mode??

BACK TO SQUARE ONE

Came into the studio today - powered up and back to : 1394: Not Ready and unrecognized device.

I'm starting to think it's the Slot on the DN3200 that has the issue.
It seems that it works after removed and reseeding the card in the slot.
After a bit (overnight) it seems to revert back.

Is there a way to run a diagnostic on the board to make sure the slot itself isn't the problem?

Are all 5 screws tight on the back panel? It's very important that the card is all the way in - that last millimeter sometimes gives greater resistance and requires a solid pressure all over the back to get it to pop in, then the screws have to be in place or it might pop out again.
If it feels loose in any way, you may need to open up the mixer and check for loose screws on the back-plane board where the cards push into.

Sorry again for the delay - I'm traveling like crazy.

So last night I pulled the entire console out of the desk and re-seeded the board. Made sure it was secure.

It came up as locked and stayed locked for about 5 minutes then went offline.

I went back to my ADAT cards in both slots and both cards are being recognized and are working fine.

It has to be the card. Which brings me to a secondary issue. I bought the original card from B&H then returned it to Tascam about a month later got a replacement.

I now need to return the card. B&H says I need to return it Tascam - but I didn't "pay" Tascam, I paid B&H. Any suggestions or contacts outside of the normal support channels to get a return to Tascam on the card.

I originally went to the FW card to simplify the routing which I was having trouble with, any recommendations on using ADAT or TDIF from the TASCAM to a MOTU 2408 MKIII?

I'm going to start another thread on the routing to see if I can get this set up so I can start recording ... been crazy setting all this up.

I appreciate everyone's help
Best

Man I was sure hoping to see a resolution on this thread Daiuto. I have been having the same problem for two days now. Running a Mac Mini 2.3GHz intel core 17. 8 GB DDR with DM4800. I have been using the old 1.22 (14975) driver with OX 10.9.5 for nearly 3 months now with our a problem. I come in two days ago and the Card is not recognized. The DM and the computer were not even shut down. Same CARD OK and 1394 Driver Offline Status on the DIGITAL screen on the DM. I uninstalled the driver and loaded the beta (188754) release. No help. I've almost always been a lurker here but the forum has never let down trudging through my issues. Hoping we can get some resolution between the two of us as I'm dying here. :-(

Hi Good Noise,

I'm out of ideas on this ... SO i'm going to try a 3rd card, just waiting for a RMA from Tascam support. I find it hard to imagine that I got 2 bad cards but there isn't anything else for me to try.

Please post back to this thread if you find anything and I'll do the same once I get the new card.

Well, I don't know what to say. Installed the 188754 driver on my macbook pro with what is now the third FW400 cable. Fired it up and the card locked with no problem. Re-connected to the studio Mac Mini with that cable and everything fine. I then reconnected trying the other cables I was using and I'm back to the "Driver Offline" status. Short story as of now is I had two bad FW400 cables. Hard to believe but there it is. Happy to report I can go on with tonight's session.

Thank you Red bus for all your help here on this.

Happy thanksgiving everybody.
pete

Many things that seem highly unlikely are not only possible but probable. Did you buy those two FireWire cables at the same time? If the machine that spits them out made 29 bad ones in a row out of the 20K It made that day, then all 29 probably went in the same box to the same store. And you get the seeming impossibility of find the only two bad FW cables at Full SweetCenter Friend at Large.

Glad you got yours sorted! I had it hammered into my head in the early 80s... Verify the cables first!

Thanks Jim
Really not sure about manufacturing dates of the cables. Just a box full of FW cables now. The funny thing is the one that was in there has been fine for a couple years. The first one I pulled out of the box I guess was also NG. Didn't think of trying a third until I hooked up the laptop and it worked.
Lesson learned :)

Here's some more confusing news. The first card that you RMA'd, works fine with the 2011 Mac Mini in the office here. I'm not sure of the timing though, you may have jumped the gun with that one and just not had the right drivers at the right time.

RedBus.

Thanks Redbus ... very interesting. well that kinda leads me down the path I was thinking last night.

I've verified that all the FW800 ports on the Mac are working fine (with my FW800 OWC drive).
I just installed PCI 424 installed in my Mac - can't I use one of the FW 400 ports on the card to go directly FW400/Fw400 to the FW card in the DM, or do you think the drivers for the PCI 424 will be an issue. I don't know if they are true FW ports or if they are just for connecting more I/O.

The drivers are installed and working because it came up and worked for a few minutes (playing audio etc) then went offline.

Is it worth trying another FW cable (this will be the 3rd)?
Is it common for the FW card to have hardware issues?

The FireWire protocol is designed for daisy-chaining, that is definitely a supported method to use the hard drive as an intermediate hub.
The problems we've seen on the card are mostly related to the FireWire physical layer chip - it's usually destroyed because a cable was forced in backwards so the power pins short something out. It's pretty obvious when the chip nearest the connector has black marks on it. The RMA'd card was fine. But, I'm guessing that bad cables that are shorting a bit of the power pins to the data pins would cause all sorts of problems. If you can get a cable that doesn't pass FireWire power, that would be an interesting test.
The way I have mine set up, I have a powered 6 port FW400 hub. One cable going to the IF-FW, and one each to the Mac and PC I use for testing. Only one of the computers is connected at once though. The Mac has FW800 only, but the PC has both FW400 and FW800.

Got it. On the MAC you are using a FW400 to FW800 cable? I was thinking maybe that was the issue

For the Mac it's:

Mac (FW-800) <-> Hub (FW-400) <-> IFFW( FW-400). The FW-400 cable is about 10 feet long, the FW-400/800 cable is about 4-5 feet.

Tried another cable as well. Same deal.

@RedBus since you tested the previous card and found it to be ok, what do you recommend my next move is? I'm at a loss.

I haven't heard back yet from the Tascam support group on getting an RMA # for the 2nd card.

If I decide to just return the card and stick with the ADAT and 2408 would the support group handle the return as well?

Long overdue update.

I received the original board back from Tascam a few weeks ago and with the holidays and traveling just got to ripping things apart again to get the original card back in.

I upgraded to Yosemite and am using the newest driver as well as a brand new cable - system came right up and immediately locked. I have been running the system (test) 3 days and haven't dropped or seen anything at all. It looks to be pretty solid. I have only been streaming music to the card, but all looks good.

I'm a little concerned, because I don't know what changed or made it work. i guess its possible it was just a compilation of items on my end. But hey, all looks good.

Now I get to finally start figuring out my workflow and setting up pro tools etc

Many thanks to @RedBus and everyone on the forum that helped me, it is much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll be posting other threads as questions or problems arise.

Thanks again,
Leo

New threads

Members online

No members online now.