Import files into a daw...Hundred of files

Bobbydebarbes

Gear owned
Tascam DP24
Hello everyone,

Recently i've saved all my files and datas from my SD cards (DP24 unit) and i'd like to import some songs in my daw to remix it.
Here is my process on my computer:
open folder -> open "music" (not audio depot or utility) -> song -> hundred of files named like zzzz0012_1.wav.
How do i know which ones to import ? i've tried to import everything and it is a mess !
Thanks in advance,
B

You don't - the files are named like that as they're not for human consumption :) The correct way for transferring tracks is to run the Export process on the DP machine. This is not a word meaning 'copy' (Tascam's misleading term!). You have to run this function (from the AudioDepot screen) so the machine can glue the correct ones together to form a single file per track. These can then be copied or imported into your DAW.

Ok thanks Phil, this is what i 've always done (and worked fine) but as i took the time to save everything, i didn't want to go back and export again eveything again track by track so i tried something new...
Not very well thought process IMO.
Anyway, i am trying to patch every bit with the "wrong" method, it's boring and time consuming but it work.

Yes, although copying a whole sd-card, or even just the individual song folders is the correct way to backup whole songs, including settings, this is purely for backup/restore purposes.
If you want to process individual tracks outside of the song, you have to run the export process or be prepared to glue all those ZZ files manually - some may even be old takes so may not even be part of the current song!
The implications are that if you have loads of songs/cards backed up just by copying them, and your machine dies, those backups are useless from an individual track point of view until you fix or replace your DP machine. The only consolation is your master file (assuming you've done a mixdown and/or mastering step) will be usable on other systems as it's already in a standard format, unlike the tracks.

Exactly.
Crystal clear.
If i was brave, i would export everything as described by you...but it'll take days...i'll see ;-)
thanks again for your help

Reactions: Phil Tipping
You don't have to do it "track by track." Select all tracks of the song and export. Copy those files from the Audio Depot and import them to your DAW. They will line up perfectly.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.